How to Sort Elements of a Matrix in O(n) Time Complexity?

In summary: So the total complexity is $O(1)+O(n)+O(n) = O(n)$.Hope this helps!In summary, we can use the given hint to create an algorithm that sorts a matrix of size n in O(n) complexity. This involves creating a count array with 101 elements, where each index corresponds to an element in the input matrix. The count array is then used to count the number of times each element appears in the matrix. Finally, a new matrix is filled with the elements in ascending order according to the count array, resulting in a sorted matrix. The complexity is O(1) + O(n) + O(n) = O(n).
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let a matrix with $n$ integers in the interval $[1,100]$. I want to write an algorithm that sorts the elements of the matrix in $O(n)$. [Hint: Count and use the number of times that each number appears]

I have thought the following:

We create a matrix with $100$ entries. If the matrix contains for example 1 $1$ we put 1 at the first cell. I have written this as follows:
Code:
int matrix[100]
int count[100]
int new_matrix[n]

for i=0 to 99 
     count[i]=0
end
for i=0 to 99
     if matrix[i]=i+1
        then count[i]=count[i]+1
end
j=0
for i=0 to 99
     if (count[i] not 0)
        while (count[i] not 0)
                 new_matrix[j]=matrix[i]
                 j=j+1
                 count[i]=count[i]-1
         end
end
for (i=0 to j-1)
     print(new_matrix[i])
end
The first and second for are executed $100$ times and the third $100 \cdot j=100 \cdot n$ times, right?

So the complexity is $O(100)+O(100 \cdot n)=O(n)$.

Or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let a matrix with $n$ integers in the interval $[1,100]$. I want to write an algorithm that sorts the elements of the matrix in $O(n)$. [Hint: Count and use the number of times that each number appears]

I have thought the following:

We create a matrix with $100$ entries. If the matrix contains for example 1 $1$ we put 1 at the first cell. I have written this as follows:
Code:
int matrix[100]
int count[100]
int new_matrix[n]

for i=0 to 99 
     count[i]=0
end
for i=0 to 99
     if matrix[i]=i+1
        then count[i]=count[i]+1
end
j=0
for i=0 to 99
     if (count[i] not 0)
        while (count[i] not 0)
                 new_matrix[j]=matrix[i]
                 j=j+1
                 count[i]=count[i]-1
         end
end
for (i=0 to j-1)
     print(new_matrix[i])
end
The first and second for are executed $100$ times and the third $100 \cdot j=100 \cdot n$ times, right?

So the complexity is $O(100)+O(100 \cdot n)=O(n)$.

Or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)
Hi evinda,

I see a few errors in what you did.

I understand that 'matrix' is the given matrix; its size should be $n$, not $100$.

I would suggest to make the count array 101 elements long, and leave count[0] unused. In this way, the index of the count array corresponds directly to the value of an element in the input matrix.

The declarations are then:
Code:
int matrix[n]
int count[101]
int new_matrix[n]

The first loop will then become:
Code:
for i = 1 to 100
  count[i] = 0

The second loop (that counts the elements) is not correct. You only update a count if matrix contains i+1. In fact, each element in the matrix should update one element of the count array. A more correct implementation would be:

Code:
for i = 0 to n
    count[matrix[i]] = count[matrix[i]]+1

where I assume that you have declared count as int[101] as explained above (this is only a minor detail, but it makes things less error-prone).

You can then fill the output matrix as:

Code:
j = 0
for i = 1 to 100
  while count[i] > 0
        new_matrix[j] = i
        j = j+1
        count[i]=count[i]-1

which is almost what you did, except that the value to be stored is i, not matrix. Note also that i ranges from 1 to 100 instead of 0 to 99, as per the reamrk above.

Now, the first loop (that clears the count array) will be executed $100$ times, which is $O(1)$.

The second loop (that counts the elements) will be executed $n$ times, which is $O(n)$.

In each execution of the final loop, one element of new_matrix will be assigned. As we do not loose any element (the total count is preserved), this loop will also execute in $O(n)$.

1. How do you sort the elements of a matrix in ascending order?

To sort the elements of a matrix in ascending order, you can use any sorting algorithm such as bubble sort, selection sort, or insertion sort. These algorithms involve comparing and rearranging the elements of the matrix until they are in the desired order.

2. Can you explain the process of sorting elements of a matrix?

The process of sorting elements of a matrix involves comparing and rearranging the elements of the matrix in a specific order, such as ascending or descending. This can be done by using a sorting algorithm or by manually comparing and swapping elements.

3. Is it possible to sort a matrix in descending order?

Yes, it is possible to sort a matrix in descending order. This can be done by using a sorting algorithm and changing the comparison condition to sort the elements in descending order instead of ascending. Alternatively, you can manually compare and swap elements to achieve the desired order.

4. How do you handle duplicates when sorting elements of a matrix?

When sorting elements of a matrix, duplicates can be handled in different ways depending on the sorting algorithm used. Some algorithms automatically place duplicates next to each other, while others may ignore them altogether. It is important to consider the desired output and adjust the algorithm accordingly.

5. What are some efficient ways to sort a large matrix?

Sorting a large matrix can be done efficiently by using efficient sorting algorithms such as merge sort, quicksort, or heap sort. These algorithms have a time complexity of O(nlogn), making them faster than other sorting algorithms for large data sets. Additionally, parallel sorting techniques can also be used to further improve efficiency.