Sound of vibrating string - modes

In summary, the conversation is discussing the sound of a vibrating string with a pickup that is sensitive to the motion at a point 1/3 of the string's length from one end. The question asks which statement is true, with options including being able to hear all modes except the third, not being able to hear the third or sixth mode, or only being able to hear the third mode. The solution involved understanding the concept of modes in a string and realizing that the correct answer is B, as the point at 1/3 of the string's length corresponds to a stationary point for the standing waves of the 3rd mode and does not move at the frequencies of the 3rd and 6th modes.
Torrie

Homework Statement

Suppose we listen to the sound of a vibrating string with a pickup that is sensitive to the motion at a point 1/3 of the string's length from one end. Which statement is true?

A.) We will be able to hear all of the modes except the third
B.) We will not be able to hear the third mode or the sixth mode
C.) None of the statements above are true
D.) We will be able to hear only the 3rd and higher modes
E.) We will only be able to hear the 3rd mode

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made a mono-cord and measured frequency at different modes for this class. We have discussed that when you excite the fundamental, you also excite all modes above it. But when you select higher modes, you won't excite the modes below it.
So I at first tried (D) but the answer was incorrect. Then I figured that maybe by "pickup that is sensitive" it meant that the pickup could only hear the point at 1/3, so figured they would here the 3rd and 6th and so I selected (C) but that also isn't correct.
I think I must just be misunderstanding the question all together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this is interesting, without knowing anything about modes in a string, by using logic alone and since you tell me that C is not true it means that the opposite of C is true which means that one of A or B (or both) are true. Something tells me the correct answer is A because the point located at distance 1/3 from one end of the string corresponds to a stationary point for the standing waves of 3rd mode. So this point "doesn't move " to the frequency of the 3rd mode but can move in the frequency of other modes.

Thank you for your response, Delta! Your post helped me to understand the problem. The pickup is sensitive to the MOTION at a point 1/3 of the way down the string. At point 1/3, there is no movement in both the 3rd and 6th modes. So the correct answer was B. Thank you!

Likes Delta2

What is the "Sound of Vibrating String - Modes"?

The "Sound of Vibrating String - Modes" is a phenomenon where a string, when plucked or bowed, produces a specific pitch or note due to its natural vibration.

What causes the sound of a vibrating string?

The sound of a vibrating string is caused by the vibration of the string itself. When a string is plucked or bowed, it creates a disturbance in the air molecules around it, which produces sound waves that travel through the air and can be heard by our ears.

What are the different modes of vibration in a string?

There are several modes of vibration in a string, but the most common ones are the fundamental mode or first harmonic, and the overtones or higher harmonics. The fundamental mode produces the lowest pitch, while the overtones produce higher pitches.

How does the tension and length of a string affect its modes of vibration?

The tension and length of a string have a direct impact on its modes of vibration. A higher tension and shorter length will result in a higher frequency and thus produce higher-pitched sounds. Conversely, a lower tension and longer length will result in a lower frequency and produce lower-pitched sounds.

What is the relationship between the modes of vibration and the pitch of a string?

The modes of vibration directly affect the pitch of a string. The fundamental mode produces the lowest pitch, while the overtones produce higher pitches. The frequency of the vibration determines the pitch, with higher frequencies producing higher pitches and lower frequencies producing lower pitches.