Sounds waves and guitar strings

In summary: I'm not sure, what to do with this, but I just need Part C: The diameter of the A string is 0.229mm. What is the diameter of the D string if the tension of both string must be equal? I feel like tension cancels out somewhere?
Mango12
C=130Hz
G=196Hz
D=293Hz
A=440 Hz

The distance from the nut to the bridge is 58cm, the amplitude of the string vibration is 2.2mm

Part A: What is the period (T) of the G string?
Part B: What is the side to side velocity of the g string? (Think simple harmonic motion)
Part C: The diameter of the A string is 0.229mm. What is the diameter of the D string if the tension of both string must be equal?

I don't really know how to approach this, and any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
C=130Hz
G=196Hz
D=293Hz
A=440 Hz

The distance from the nut to the bridge is 58cm, the amplitude of the string vibration is 2.2mm

Part B: What is the side to side velocity of the g string? (Think simple harmonic motion)
Part C: The diameter of the A string is 0.229mm. What is the diameter of the D string if the tension of both string must be equal?

I don't really know how to approach this, and any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
UPDATE: I figured out how to do part A, but I still need help with part B and C

Mango12 said:
C=130Hz
G=196Hz
D=293Hz
A=440 Hz

Hi Mango12! ;)

B. The length of the string corresponds to half of the wave length, which is how it vibrates.
C. Do you have a formula that includes the diameter of the string?

I like Serena said:
Hi Mango12! ;)

B. The length of the string corresponds to half of the wave length, which is how it vibrates.
C. Do you have a formula that includes the diameter of the string?

I figured out part B, but now I just have to do C.

I don't have any formulas with diameter in them. The only formula I have relating to tension is f=1/2\sqrt{tension/ML}

Mango12 said:
I figured out part B, but now I just have to do C.

I don't have any formulas with diameter in them. The only formula I have relating to tension is f=1/2\sqrt{tension/ML}

What is ML?

M is mass and L is length of the string...unless you know a different formula? And I also have V=\sqrt{tension/(m/L)}

Mango12 said:
M is mass and L is length of the string...unless you know a different formula? And I also have V=\sqrt{tension/(m/L)}

Isn't the mass dependent on the diameter? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Isn't the mass dependent on the diameter? (Wondering)

I'm not sure, what to do with this, but I just need Part C: The diameter of the A string is 0.229mm. What is the diameter of the D string if the tension of both string must be equal? I feel like tension cancels out somewhere?

What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that is created by the vibration of particles in a medium, such as air. These vibrations travel through the medium and can be detected by our ears as sound.

How are sound waves produced by guitar strings?

Guitar strings produce sound waves through the vibrations created when they are plucked or strummed. The vibrations travel through the air and are interpreted by our ears as sound.

What is the relationship between sound waves and pitch?

The pitch of a sound is determined by the frequency of the sound waves. Higher frequency waves produce a higher pitch, while lower frequency waves produce a lower pitch.

How do different guitar string materials affect sound waves?

The material of a guitar string can affect the sound waves produced due to differences in density and stiffness. For example, steel strings tend to produce a brighter and louder sound compared to nylon strings.

Can sound waves be manipulated by guitar players?

Yes, guitar players can manipulate sound waves by changing the length, thickness, and tension of the guitar strings. This can alter the pitch, volume, and tone of the sound produced by the guitar.