Which harmonics would be observed on an electric guitar?

In summary, the pick-ups (transducers) placed beneath the strings of an electric guitar will only detect/produce sound where there isn't a node. The signal produced is due to the variable reluctance of the magnetic circuit, resulting in a large second harmonic component. Sketching the modes of vibration of the string can help determine the presence of nodes and aid in finding the harmonics observed at different locations on the string.
thomas19981

Homework Statement

The electric guitar radiates very little sound directly, but instead relies upon pick-ups (transducers) placed beneath the strings. Establish, showing clearly how you reach your answer, which harmonics of the open string you are likely to observe if the pick-ups are placed.
1)close to the bridge of the guitar.
2)around the mid-point of the strings
3)a quarter of the way from the bridge to the nut
4)##98 mm## from the bridge, when the length of the open string is ##648 mm##

Homework Equations

##n\lambda/2=L##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not totally sure what to do for all the above parts but I've derived the equation above to help me get the number of the harmonic I would observe. At a guess i'd say that the transducers give nodes so from that I can deduce n which would give me the number of the harmonic. Is that the right idea or am I totally wrong?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas19981 said:
At a guess i'd say that the transducers give nodes
You may want to reconsider that (see here)
thomas19981 said:
I'm not totally sure what to do
When in doubt, make sketches

thomas19981 said:

Homework Statement

The electric guitar radiates very little sound directly, but instead relies upon pick-ups (transducers) placed beneath the strings. Establish, showing clearly how you reach your answer, which harmonics of the open string you are likely to observe if the pick-ups are placed.
1)close to the bridge of the guitar.
2)around the mid-point of the strings
3)a quarter of the way from the bridge to the nut
4)##98 mm## from the bridge, when the length of the open string is ##648 mm##

Homework Equations

##n\lambda/2=L##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not totally sure what to do for all the above parts but I've derived the equation above to help me get the number of the harmonic I would observe. At a guess i'd say that the transducers give nodes so from that I can deduce n which would give me the number of the harmonic. Is that the right idea or am I totally wrong?
Thanks in advance
The pick-up works when the string just above it is moving.
Sketch the modes of vibration of a string, and check whether there will be a node (the string not moving) where the pick-up is.
Note: You said "At a guess i'd say that the transducers give nodes". On the contrary, the transducer will only detect/produce sound where there isn't a node.

Likes thomas19981
After you have decided on the motion of the string, you should consider the fact that the signal produced by a guitar pickup is due to variable reluctance of the magnetic circuit containing the head and the steel string. This will introduce a large second harmonic component of the periodic motion of the string.

Likes Simon Bridge

1. What are harmonics on an electric guitar?

Harmonics on an electric guitar are additional tones or pitches that are produced when a string is plucked or strummed. They are higher in pitch than the fundamental note and are created by the vibrations of the string being divided into smaller segments.

2. How are harmonics produced on an electric guitar?

Harmonics on an electric guitar are produced by lightly touching the vibrating string at specific points, known as "nodes," while playing a note. This divides the string into smaller segments, creating the higher-pitched harmonics.

3. Which harmonics are typically observed on an electric guitar?

The most commonly observed harmonics on an electric guitar are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th harmonics. These are also known as the octave, perfect fifth, perfect fourth, and major third harmonics, respectively. However, other harmonics can also be produced depending on the technique used.

4. How do the harmonics on an electric guitar affect the sound?

Harmonics on an electric guitar can add a unique tonal quality to the sound. They can give a bell-like or chime-like quality to the note being played and can also create a more complex and rich sound. They are often used in solos and melodic playing to add texture and interest to the music.

5. Can harmonics be used in chords on an electric guitar?

Yes, harmonics can be used in chords on an electric guitar. They can add a shimmering quality to the chord and create a more interesting and unique sound. However, they require precise finger placement and may not be suitable for all chord progressions.