Sources about Killing vector fields?

In summary, Peter Petersen recommends Lie derivative to measure how a vector field changes the metric. Differential geometry and Lie groups will be used heavily in future chapters.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I'm interested in Killing vector fields and want to ask whether anybody can name me a good textbook or online-source about them, preferably with a general treatment with local coordinates as examples and not at the center of consideration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting on page 83, "Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists", by Fecko, has my favourite treatment of Killing vectors. It has lots of great examples in its short exrecises. I am not sure if has enough coordinate-invariant stuff for your tastes, but it does start with the definition ##\mathcal{L}_\xi g = 0##, where ##\mathcal{L}## is the Lie derivative and the vector field ##\xi## is generated by a one-parameter group of isometries.

Likes LevLandau
Peter Petersen ~ Riemannian geometry, curvature chapter (grad texts in math) :

** First, we can measure the change in X by asking whether or not X is a gradient field. If iXg = θX is the 1-form dual to X, i.e., (iXg) (Y ) = g (X, Y ), then we know that X is locally the gradient of a function if and only if dθX = 0. In general, the 2-form dθX therefore measures the extend to which X is a gradient field. Second, we can measure how a vector field X changes the metric via the Lie derivative LXg. This is a symmetric (0, 2)-tensor as opposed to the skew-symmetric (0, 2)-tensor dθX. If Ft is the local flow for X, then we see that LXg = 0 if and only if Ft are isometries (see also chapter 7). If this happens then we say that X is a Killing field. Lie derivatives will be used heavily below. The results we use are standard from manifold theory and are all explained in the appendix. In case X = ∇f is a gradient field the expression L∇f g is essentially the Hessian of f. We can prove this in Rn were we already know what the Hessian should be. Let X = ∇f = ai ∂i, ai = ∂if, then LX δijdxi dxj = (LXδij ) + δijLX dxi dxj + δijdxi LX dxj = 0+ δij dLX xi dxj + δijdxi dLX xj = δij dai dxj + δijdxi daj = δij ∂kai dxkdxj + δijdxi ∂kaj dxk = ∂kai dxkdxi + ∂kai dxi dxk = ∂kai + ∂iak dxi dxk = (∂k∂if + ∂i∂kf) dxi dxk = 2(∂i∂kf) dxi dxk = 2Hessf. - From this calculation we can also quickly see what the Killing fields on Rn should be. If X = ai ∂i, then X is a Killing field iff ∂kai + ∂iak = 0. This shows that ∂j∂kai = −∂j∂iak = −∂i∂jak = ∂i∂kaj = ∂k∂iaj = −∂k∂jai = −∂j∂kai . Thus we have ∂j∂kai = 0 and hence ai = αi jxj + βi with the extra conditions that αi j = ∂jai = −∂iaj = −αj i . The angular field ∂θ is therefore a Killing field. This also follows from the fact that the corresponding flow is matrix multiplication by the orthogonal matrix cos (t) − sin (t) sin (t) cos (t) . More generally one can show that the flow of the Killing field X is Ft (x) = exp (At) x + tβ, A = αi j , β = βi . In this way we see that a vector field on Rn is constant iff it is a Killing field that is also a gradient field. **

1. What is a Killing vector field?

A Killing vector field is a type of vector field in mathematics and physics that preserves the metric structure of a manifold. In other words, it represents a symmetry of the geometric structure of a space. It is named after Wilhelm Killing, a German mathematician who first studied these types of vector fields in the late 19th century.

2. How are Killing vector fields used in physics?

Killing vector fields are used in physics to study the symmetries of a physical system. They are particularly useful in the study of general relativity and other areas of theoretical physics. In general relativity, they are used to find solutions to the Einstein field equations and to understand the behavior of spacetime.

3. What are some applications of Killing vector fields?

Killing vector fields have numerous applications in mathematics and physics. In addition to their use in general relativity, they are also used in the study of differential geometry, Lie groups, and Lie algebras. They also have applications in engineering, such as in the analysis of fluid flows and the motion of rigid bodies.

4. How do Killing vector fields relate to conserved quantities?

Killing vector fields are closely related to conserved quantities in physics. This is because they represent symmetries of a system, and symmetries often correspond to conserved quantities. For example, in general relativity, the existence of a Killing vector field is related to the existence of a conserved quantity known as the energy-momentum tensor.

5. Can Killing vector fields exist on any type of manifold?

No, not all manifolds have Killing vector fields. In order for a manifold to have Killing vector fields, it must be a Riemannian manifold, meaning it has a smooth, symmetric, positive-definite metric. Examples of Riemannian manifolds include Euclidean space and the surface of a sphere. Non-Riemannian manifolds, such as Lorentzian manifolds, do not have Killing vector fields.