Understanding Killing Vectors & Schwarzschild Geodesics

In summary, Carroll discusses the use of Killing vectors in section 5.4 of his book on Schwarzschild geodesics. A Killing vector satisfies the equation ##\nabla_{(\mu}K_{\nu)}=0## and this implies that ##K_\nu p^\nu## is conserved along a geodesic, where ##p^\nu## is a 4-momentum. Carroll also mentions that a vector satisfying Killing's equation can always be transformed into a coordinate system where it takes the form ##\partial_{\sigma\ast}##, where ##x^{\sigma\ast}## is a coordinate that the metric is independent of. In GR, if the coordinate is ##t##,
George Keeling
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I think I now realise stuff about Killing vectors. Am I correct?
I'm on to section 5.4 of Carroll's book on Schwarzschild geodesics and he says stuff in it which, I think, enlightens me on the use of Killing vectors. I had to go back to section 3.8 on Symmetries and Killing vectors. I now understand the following:

A Killing vector satisfies $$
\nabla_{(\mu}K_{\nu)}=0
$$and that implies that ##K_\nu p^\nu## is conserved along a geodesic. ##p^\nu## is a 4-momentum.

Carroll says "In fact, if a vector ##K^\mu## satisfies Killing's equation, it will always be possible to find a coordinate system in which ##K=\partial_{\sigma\ast}##". ##x^{\sigma\ast}## was the coordinate of which the metric was independent. That is ##\partial_{\sigma\ast}g_{\mu\nu}=0##. So in GR if the coordinate was ##t## then we would have a ##K^\mu=\left(1,0,0,0\right)##. If the metric equation does not contain ##t## it must have such a Killing vector. It must then satisfy the equation ##\nabla_{(\mu}K_{\nu)}=0## and that implies that that ##K_\nu p^\nu## is conserved along a geodesic.

A few lines further on he says
"As we investigate in Appendix B, Killing vector fields on a manifold are in on-to-one correspondence with continuous symmetries of the metric [isometries] on that manifold".

From the second statement (slightly stretched) we infer that a time isometry must imply a Killing vector ##K=\left(1,0,0,0\right)## and with a Schwarzschild metric a ##\phi## isometry implies a Killing vector ##R=\left(0,0,0,1\right)##.

Is that all correct? I want to check before I proceed, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether or not a timelike Killing field has components (1,0,0,0) or not depends on your coordinate system. However, it is always possible to construct a coordinate system in such a way that those would be the components. Note that this says nothing about your actually chosen coordinate system. For example, it is not the case for Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates on Schwarzschild spacetime.

There are also other rotations from those generated by ##\partial_\phi## that are symmetries of the Schwarzschild metric. They will not have that simple form (but you can construct a new coordinate system where they do).

Likes George Keeling and vanhees71

1. What is a Killing vector?

A Killing vector is a type of vector field in a spacetime that preserves the metric tensor. This means that the vector field remains unchanged under the symmetries of the spacetime, and thus represents a conserved quantity. In simpler terms, it is a vector that generates a symmetry in the spacetime.

2. How are Killing vectors related to the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is a solution to Einstein's field equations that describes the spacetime around a spherically symmetric, non-rotating mass. Killing vectors play a crucial role in this metric as they represent the symmetries of the spacetime, such as time translation and spatial rotation. These symmetries are preserved by the metric, making it an important tool for understanding the behavior of particles in this spacetime.

3. What are geodesics in the context of Schwarzschild spacetime?

A geodesic is the path that a freely moving particle takes in a curved spacetime. In the context of Schwarzschild spacetime, geodesics are the trajectories of particles moving under the influence of the gravitational field of a spherically symmetric mass. These paths are determined by the metric and can be calculated using the equations of motion for geodesics.

4. How do Killing vectors affect the motion of particles in Schwarzschild spacetime?

Killing vectors play a crucial role in understanding the motion of particles in Schwarzschild spacetime. Since they represent the symmetries of the spacetime, they correspond to conserved quantities such as energy and angular momentum. These conserved quantities determine the motion of particles along geodesics and can be used to calculate their trajectories and escape velocities.

5. What is the significance of understanding Killing vectors and Schwarzschild geodesics?

Understanding Killing vectors and Schwarzschild geodesics is crucial for gaining a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles in the presence of a spherically symmetric mass. This knowledge is essential in fields such as general relativity, astrophysics, and cosmology, where the effects of strong gravitational fields are significant. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the motion of objects in the universe, such as the orbits of planets and the paths of light around massive objects.