Space is Relative: A 17 Yr Old's Exploration

In summary, the twins meet because one of them changes their course, but it is not due to their velocity.
greg_rack
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Since I'm broadly confused :)
Hello everybody, my question may sound stupid, especially speaking of such a mind-blowing and important theory... but here I am!
I'm 17 and I'm reading a fabulous book by Stephen Hawking, "A Brief History of Time", and it introduced me to relativity theories... I literally started looking the world differently, it blew my mind!
But anyway, paradoxically, I think I've understood anything about it, apart from one thing: what do they mean with "relative space"?

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
what do they mean with "relative space"?

That "space" depends on your choice of reference frame, since your choice of reference frame determines how spacetime is split up into "space" and "time". There is no unique way to do this because there is no unique choice of reference frame; all reference frames are equally valid.

Likes greg_rack
PeterDonis said:
That "space" depends on your choice of reference frame, since your choice of reference frame determines how spacetime is split up into "space" and "time". There is no unique way to do this because there is no unique choice of reference frame; all reference frames are equally valid.
Thank you so much, now it's clear!
And also, since spacetime curvature is affected by gravitational fields, how could it be affected by an osberver's velocity(e.g. the twins paradox)?

Likes berkeman
greg_rack said:
spacetime curvature is affected by gravitational fields

It's really the other way around. Spacetime curvature causes gravitational fields (more precisely, it causes particular kinds of "gravitational fields"--other kinds can be produced in flat spacetime by being inside an accerating rocket). Spacetime curvature itself is caused by the presence of matter and energy.

greg_rack said:
how could it be affected by an osberver's velocity(e.g. the twins paradox)?

It isn't. An observer's velocity has nothing to do with spacetime curvature.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
greg_rack said:
I'm 17 and I'm reading a fabulous book by Stephen Hawking, "A Brief History of Time", and it introduced me to relativity theories... I literally started looking the world differently, it blew my mind!

Pick up a copy of Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler if you want to begin to understand relativity.

Likes vanhees71 and kent davidge
greg_rack said:
And also, since spacetime curvature is affected by gravitational fields, how could it be affected by an osberver's velocity(e.g. the twins paradox)?

For the twins to meet again at least one of them have to change his/her course. It could break symmetry between them. Relativity does not always mean equality.

Let her twin get on a merry-go-round and him twin wait at the gate. It takes time T for one around.
On arrival her time is
[tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}\ T = \sqrt{1-\frac{R^2 \Omega^2}{c^2}}\ T = \sqrt{1+\frac{2\Phi}{c^2}} \ T[/tex]
where R the radius, ##\Omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}## angular velocity, ##\Phi=-\frac{1}{2}R^2\Omega^2## potential energy per mass of centrifugal force which is zero at the center of merry-go-round. She and he agree with their time difference. He in IFR interprets it is due to time dilation by Lorentz transformation with V. She, not in IFR, interprets it is due to potential ##\Phi## in her FR. In his IFR she rotates and in her FR he rotates relatively. IFR or not makes difference.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "Space is Relative"?

The concept of "Space is Relative" is based on Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the perception of space and time can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the age of the explorer affect their understanding of space?

The age of the explorer does not necessarily affect their understanding of space. However, it may influence their perspective and approach to exploring and studying space.

3. What are some examples of how space is relative?

One example is the phenomenon of time dilation, where time appears to move slower for objects in motion compared to stationary objects. Another example is the distortion of space caused by massive objects, such as black holes.

4. How does the concept of "Space is Relative" impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of "Space is Relative" has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by challenging traditional notions of space and time. It has led to breakthroughs in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics, and has helped us better understand the behavior of objects in space.

5. What are some potential implications of the theory of relativity for space exploration?

The theory of relativity has implications for space exploration, such as the need to account for time dilation when calculating travel times and the potential for using gravitational lensing to observe distant objects. It also highlights the importance of understanding the relationship between space and time in order to accurately navigate and explore the vastness of the universe.