Space Qualified Level Shifter Solutions for 1.5V I/O to 1.8V I/O?

• Thread starter ashah99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, space qualified level shifter solutions are designed to address the challenge of converting 1.5V input/output (I/O) signals to 1.8V I/O signals in space applications. These solutions utilize specialized circuits and components that can withstand the extreme conditions of space, such as radiation and temperature fluctuations. By providing reliable and efficient level shifting capabilities, these solutions enable the use of 1.5V I/O devices in space systems that require 1.8V I/O signals, without the need for costly redesign.
ashah99
TL;DR Summary
In need of solutions for voltage translation between 1.5V I/O from FPGA to an ADC that accepts I/O at 1.8V
Hello everyone, I am trying to find level shifter/voltage translation solutions that are space-qualified (ideally radiation hardened, etc.) that can logic level translate from FPGA I/O at 1.5V to and ADC at 1.8V while supporting uni- or bi-directional I/O and OE capabilities . This is for high reliability applications. Basically, I am interfacing with SPI and some status/control discretes from the FPGA and the transceivers I/O are at higher voltages. I've found a part from ST Microelectronics (P/N 5962F1120701VXC) but the voltage isn't quite support and there's insufficient data at 1.5V. I also thought about passive voltage dividers or BJTs for translation, but those are mostly unidirectional.

Does anyone have good solutions that come to mind ? I appreciate any feedback/suggestions! Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ashah99 said:
FPGA I/O at 1.5V to and ADC at 1.8V
Wow, interesting project. Can you post links to those two datasheets? It's hard to believe that the 1.5V part is not 1.8V tolerant, and even harder to believe that Vih and Vil of the 1.8V part are not compatible with the lower voltage CMOS outputs. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Wow, interesting project. Can you post links to those two datasheets? It's hard to believe that the 1.5V part is not 1.8V tolerant, and even harder to believe that Vih and Vil of the 1.8V part are not compatible with the lower voltage CMOS outputs. Thanks.
Sure, the FPGA selected is the Xilinx Versal (P/N XCVC1902–1MSIVSVA2197) and the other device is a TI RF Sampler AFE (P/N AFE7950). The plan is to use I/O from the XPIO bank from the FPGA to interface with the AFE. I have some datasheets referenced below, if you are interested.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/a...=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FAFE7950

Attachments

• ds956_versal_prime-2934840.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

1. What is a space qualified level shifter?

A space qualified level shifter is an electronic device that is designed to convert signals from one voltage level to another in order to enable communication between components operating at different voltage levels.

2. Why is a space qualified level shifter necessary for 1.5V I/O to 1.8V I/O?

A space qualified level shifter is necessary for 1.5V I/O to 1.8V I/O because many electronic components used in space applications operate at different voltage levels, and a level shifter is needed to ensure that these components can communicate with each other effectively.

3. What makes a level shifter "space qualified"?

A level shifter is considered "space qualified" if it has been specifically designed and tested to meet the rigorous requirements for use in space environments. This includes being able to withstand extreme temperatures, radiation, and other harsh conditions.

4. What are the benefits of using a space qualified level shifter?

The main benefit of using a space qualified level shifter is that it ensures reliable and accurate communication between components operating at different voltage levels in space applications. It also reduces the risk of malfunctions or failures due to voltage incompatibility.

5. How do I choose the right space qualified level shifter for my application?

Choosing the right space qualified level shifter for your application will depend on factors such as the required voltage levels, operating temperature range, and radiation tolerance. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer or supplier to determine the best option for your specific needs.

Back