Space-time curvature and the fabric of space

In summary: Rich.In summary, the gist of Rich's post is that he doesn't understand what curved space-time is, and that he thinks it might be caused by fields. He doesn't seem to understand that fields don't have any properties that correspond to being "flat" or being "curved".
nikkor180
Greetings: I watched several videos describing so-called "empty space" as being permeated with fields (electron field, quark field, etc.). Is it possible that it is actually these fields that curve about large masses and that the trajectory of light and matter curve because they follow the curved fields? That is, the curvature is in the fields and not the emptiness of space-time. I come a bit closer to understanding if the fields curve by interacting with mass/energy. Trying to grasp some intuitive understanding of curved space-time. Thanks.

Rich

Likes megacal
Physics news on Phys.org
nikkor180 said:
Greetings: I watched several videos describing so-called "empty space" as being permeated with fields (electron field, quark field, etc.). Is it possible that it is actually these fields that curve about large masses
They do, due to space-time curvature
and that the trajectory of light and matter curve because they follow the curved fields?
No, I don't think that even makes sense.
That is, the curvature is in the fields and not the emptiness of space-time.
It doesn't MATTER whether you are talking about a relative vacuum or elsewhere, the curvature exist if mass is nearby, BECAUSE the mass is nearby, not because there are fields or not.

nikkor180 said:
That is, the curvature is in the fields and not the emptiness of space-time.
As I understand it, quantum field theory assumes the existence of spacetime as a "background" on which these fields exist. So no, in short.

Edit: my understanding is the Fierz-Pauli quantum gravity does use a flat background and explains apparent curvature in terms of the quantised gravitational field. However the theory can't be made to work properly, and in this case there is no curvature anyway.

nikkor180 said:
Greetings: I watched several videos describing so-called "empty space" as being permeated with fields (electron field, quark field, etc.). Is it possible that it is actually these fields that curve about large masses and that the trajectory of light and matter curve because they follow the curved fields? That is, the curvature is in the fields and not the emptiness of space-time. I come a bit closer to understanding if the fields curve by interacting with mass/energy. Trying to grasp some intuitive understanding of curved space-time. Thanks.

Rich

Einstein has a well known example of how one can model a curved space as a flat space with an auxiliary field, a "temperature field", that causes rulers to expand or contract depending on their temperature.

It's possible to use these sorts of ideas to talk about curves space-time as well. This isn't the usual way of doing things, however. It is likely that there are some difficulties with understanding the event horizon of black holes with these sorts of formulations, but I haven't seen any paper that really talks about the issue.

Some references: Einsein's "heated marble slab" https://www.bartleby.com/173/24.html
Strauman's "reflections on gravity" https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0006423

Likes nitsuj and megacal
nikkor180 said:
the curvature is in the fields and not the emptiness of space-time

This doesn't make sense, because the fields don't have any property that corresponds to being "flat" or being "curved" to begin with. Only spacetime has such properties.

nikkor180 said:
Is it possible that it is actually these fields that curve about large masses and that the trajectory of light and matter curve because they follow the curved fields?
I am not sure that this question is scientifically meaningful. Let’s suppose unlimited budget and resources. Is there any experiment that could possibly be done that could detect the difference?

Likes nitsuj
Typically, when a force field changes the path of a massive object away from the space-time geodesic, the resulting path depends on the amount of mass and the strength of the field. If the object's path does not depend on mass or any field strength, one must consider that the path is a space-time geodesic.

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
If the object's path does not depend on mass or any field strength...
Is that not another way of saying "no proper acceleration"?

Nugatory said:
Is that not another way of saying "no proper acceleration"?
I may have been clumsy in making my point. I interpreted the OP as asking if the curvature of space-time might just be due to curvature in force fields. My point is that the latter would have the usual charactoristics of acceleration -- an object's path would depend on the object's mass and the force field strength. So that is not equivalent to curvature of space-time.

FactChecker said:
the latter would have the usual charactoristics of acceleration

Huh? "Curvature of force fields" doesn't make any sense. Proper acceleration is path curvature--curvature of the particle's world line. It has nothing to do with "curvature of fields".

According to many TV adds in the US, we must presume the fabric of spacetime is cotton.:wink:

Likes weirdoguy and Nugatory
nikkor180 asked perfectly reasonable questions, and pervect gave
the most helpful answers.

I hope nikkor180 was not put off by the dismissive posts by some.

Likes nitsuj
nikkor180 said:

Rich

Ignoring the "poetic physics" stuff and things, #6 Dale's post/reply is spot on imo.

It's just a different "story", description of the physics...atm no physical significance.

Likes Dale

1. What is space-time curvature?

Space-time curvature is a concept in physics that describes how the presence of massive objects can cause the fabric of space and time to bend or curve. This is due to the influence of gravity, which is a result of the warping of space-time by massive objects.

2. How does space-time curvature affect the fabric of space?

The curvature of space-time affects the fabric of space by causing objects to follow curved paths instead of straight lines. This is because the presence of massive objects creates a gravitational force, which causes objects to be drawn towards them. The curvature of space-time also affects the flow of time, causing it to slow down near massive objects.

3. What is the relationship between space-time curvature and the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It states that the presence of massive objects causes the fabric of space-time to curve, which in turn affects the motion of objects and the flow of time. The theory of relativity also predicts the existence of black holes, which are regions of extreme space-time curvature.

4. Can space-time curvature be observed or measured?

Yes, space-time curvature can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, is a direct result of space-time curvature. The orbit of planets and other celestial bodies also provides evidence of space-time curvature.

5. How does the concept of space-time curvature impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of space-time curvature has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. It has allowed us to better understand the behavior of gravity and how it affects the motion of objects in space. It has also helped us to explain phenomena such as black holes and the expansion of the universe. Additionally, the concept of space-time curvature is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world.