Spaceport maximum and minimum inclination?

In summary, spaceports have maximum and minimum launch inclinations due to the need for specific thrust requirements to achieve orbit, and the calculations for these requirements depend on the launch vehicle and its design parameters.
xpell
(I'm not sure if this would be a 'school-type' question... it's definitively not for any kind of homework, so I'm posting it here, please relocate if appropiate)

I've recently learned that spaceports have a maximum and minimum launch inclination, and that minimum inclination corresponds to the spaceport geographical latitude. But I'm not really grasping the concept, and after I've searched a lot in the Internet and wherever, I haven't found any explanation. So I'm asking it here.

1. Why do spaceports have a maximum or minimum inclination?
  2. I assume that certain launchs' target orbit is way lower than the minimum inclination (for example, equatorial launches from Baikonur). How do they do this? Extra thrust or what?
  3. If so, could you launch a spacecraft from Baikonur, another one from Plesetsk (let's say both at 62º), rendezvous them in orbit, then move them to a low-inclination interplanetary injection orbit?

And how is this calculated? :-p

Thank you in advance! (I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'd love to know how this works!)

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason that spaceports have a maximum and minimum launch inclination is because the launch vehicle needs to generate enough thrust to overcome the force of gravity and reach a certain altitude and velocity in order to achieve orbit. At lower inclinations, the launch vehicle needs to generate more thrust to compensate for the lower altitude, while at higher inclinations, it needs less thrust to reach the same altitude and velocity. The minimum launch inclination is determined by the geographical latitude of the spaceport; the location of the spaceport affects the minimum launch inclination because the Earth's atmosphere is thicker at lower latitudes, resulting in more drag on the launch vehicle and thus requiring more thrust to reach orbit. In order to launch a spacecraft from Baikonur to an equatorial orbit, extra thrust would need to be applied in order to ‘push’ the spacecraft into a higher inclination. This can be done by using a combination of gravity assists (using the gravity of other celestial bodies) and/or additional propulsion such as onboard thrusters. In terms of calculating the required thrust, it depends on the type of launch vehicle and its specific design parameters. Generally speaking, the required thrust can be calculated using basic physics equations (e.g. Newton’s second law of motion).

1. What is the purpose of maximum and minimum inclination for a spaceport?

The maximum and minimum inclination for a spaceport refers to the range of orbital inclinations that a rocket can safely launch and land at from that particular location. This range is determined by the geographical location of the spaceport and its relation to the Earth's rotation.

2. How are maximum and minimum inclination values determined for a spaceport?

The maximum and minimum inclination values for a spaceport are determined by factors such as the latitude and longitude of the spaceport, the desired orbit of the rocket, and the Earth's rotation. Computer simulations and calculations are used to determine the safe range of inclinations for a specific spaceport.

3. What happens if a rocket's inclination does not fall within the maximum and minimum values for a spaceport?

If a rocket's inclination does not fall within the maximum and minimum values for a spaceport, it may not be able to safely launch or land from that location. This could result in a failed launch or a dangerous landing, potentially causing damage to the rocket and/or the spaceport.

4. Can a spaceport have different maximum and minimum inclination values for different types of rockets?

Yes, a spaceport can have different maximum and minimum inclination values for different types of rockets. For example, a spaceport may have a higher maximum inclination for a smaller and lighter rocket compared to a larger and heavier one.

5. How do maximum and minimum inclination values for a spaceport affect the trajectory of a rocket?

The maximum and minimum inclination values for a spaceport determine the angle at which a rocket is launched and how it will orbit the Earth. If a rocket's inclination is too high or too low, it can affect its trajectory and potentially cause it to miss its intended orbit or destination.