Spacetime Metric Topology: Does g Induce O?

• I
  • Thread starter nateHI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the metric topology of a given set in spacetime can be induced by the metric ##g##, but this is not always the case when ##g## is not positive-definite. The topology of a manifold is independent of its metric and is instead defined by the Euclidean topology of ##\mathbb{R}^4## mapped onto the manifold via coordinate charts. It is important to distinguish between a true metric and a pseudo-metric in order to avoid confusion in analysis.
nateHI
Is it fair to say, when talking about spacetime with a given metric, it would be redundant to state that the associated set has the metric topology placed on it. In other words, let ##M## be a set, ##O## the metric topology, ##\nabla## a connection, ##g## a metric, and ##T## be the direction of time, then
##(M,O,\nabla,g,T)=(M,\nabla,g,T)##

Edit: I suppose what I'm asking is, does the metric ##g## induce the metric topology?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is "the metric topology" when ##g## is not positive-definite?

George Jones said:
What is "the metric topology" when ##g## is not positive-definite?
You're right, I suppose I should make that precise. The metric topology I'm referring to has as open sets
##B_r(m_0)=\{m_0\in M : g(m_0,m)<r\ \forall m\in M \text{ where } r>0\}##

nateHI said:
You're right, I suppose I should make that precise. The metric topology I'm referring to has as open sets
##B_r(m_0)=\{m_0\in M : g(m_0,m)<r\ \forall m\in M \text{ where } r>0\}##

I am sorry, but I still do not understand. The "metric" ##g## (i.e., not a metric in the sense of metric spaces) takes as input two tangent vectors at the same point of the manifold, not two points of the manifold.

I'm referring to ##g## in two different contexts which is what I think made my question unclear. So, let ##g## be the metric from GR and let ##d## be the metric from math class. Does defining ##g## on a differentiable manifold automatically induce ##d##?

As an aside, this is interesting to me since I believe it to be key in the notion of a topological field theory. Of course I'm just starting on the subject so I could be wrong.

The balls you refer to are not very good to use to build a topology when you have a pseudo Riemannian metric. You may want to use a topology based on the intersection of light cones instead.

Likes QuantumQuest
As I understand it, the topology of ##M## is independent of ##g##. It arises from the Euclidean topology of ##\mathbb{R}^4## mapped onto ##M## via the coordinate charts. You need the topology in order to define concepts such as "smooth" and "differentiable".

The metric tensor ##g## doesn't define a "metric" in the "metric space" sense because it isn't positive definite.

OK, I think I get it now. Thanks everyone!

DrGreg said:
As I understand it, the topology of ##M## is independent of ##g##. It arises from the Euclidean topology of ##\mathbb{R}^4## mapped onto ##M## via the coordinate charts. You need the topology in order to define concepts such as "smooth" and "differentiable".

The metric tensor ##g## doesn't define a "rmetric" in the "metric space" sense because it isn't positive definite.
That's why it's better to talk about pseudo-Riemannian manifolds and pseudo-metric to make this clear from the very beginning. Analysis is based on a true metric not a pseudo-metric.

As far as I understand it a given metric in general relativity could be valid for more than one topology.

1. What is spacetime metric topology?

Spacetime metric topology is a mathematical framework used in the study of general relativity. It combines the concepts of spacetime (the four-dimensional continuum in which all physical events occur) and metric topology (the study of how spaces are connected and structured) to describe the curvature and geometry of the universe.

2. How does the metric g induce the spacetime topology O?

In general relativity, the metric tensor (g) is used to define the distance between two points in spacetime. This distance is then used to calculate the curvature of spacetime. The topology of spacetime (O) is determined by how the metric tensor describes this curvature. Essentially, the metric tensor and its properties determine the topology of spacetime.

3. Why is understanding the relationship between g and O important?

Understanding the relationship between the metric tensor and the topology of spacetime is crucial in understanding the fundamental principles of general relativity. It helps us to better comprehend the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, as well as the effects of gravity on the structure of spacetime.

4. Can g induce a different topology than O?

Yes, it is possible for the metric tensor to induce a different topology than the one we observe in our universe. This is known as a non-trivial topology and is a topic of ongoing research in the field of cosmology. It is believed that the topology of our universe is determined by a combination of the metric tensor and the initial conditions of the Big Bang.

5. How does the understanding of spacetime metric topology impact our understanding of the universe?

The study of spacetime metric topology has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It has helped us to explain observed phenomena such as the bending of light in the presence of massive objects and the expansion of the universe. It is also essential in the development of theories such as the Big Bang theory and the concept of black holes.