Special and general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it is affected by traveling at high speeds and being in low gravity environments. The individual is seeking clarification on whether time will speed up or slow down in these situations. The expert explains that both factors contribute to time dilation, but the net effect depends on the speed and distance from Earth. They also provide an example using GPS satellites to illustrate this concept. The individual expresses their understanding and thanks the expert for their explanation.
Ahmed Samra
If I am traveling in a spaceship in a speed close to the speed of light the time will delay right? However I am in space where there is low gravity which means that time will speed up. What will exactly happens to time will it speed up because of low gravity or delay because of the speed? Waiting for your answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Samra said:
If I am traveling in a spaceship in a speed close to the speed of light the time will delay right?

Wrong. Your time doesn't change with respect to you. After all, right now, you are traveling VERY FAST according to another planet in a different galaxy. Do you see your time "delayed"?

However I am in space where there is low gravity which means that time will speed up. What will exactly happens to time will it speed up because of low gravity or delay because of the speed? Waiting for your answer.

This is a bit confusing in light of your misunderstanding of time dilation from the first part. See if correcting that will force you to reexamine what you are trying to ask here.

Zz.

I mean that my time will delay according Earth for example

To earth

I don't see my time delayed I know, but you ,misunderstood me I mean that my time will delay according to Earth for example

Anyway, can you answer my question?

I understand now thank you :)

Related to Special and general relativity

1. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effect of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

2. What is the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time appears to pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds. This is a result of the relativity of simultaneity and the constancy of the speed of light.

3. How does the theory of relativity change our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding gravity and the behavior of objects at high speeds. It also led to the development of new technologies, such as GPS, that rely on the principles of relativity.

4. Can you provide an example of how the theory of relativity has been proven?

One of the most famous examples of the theory of relativity being proven is the observation of the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, was predicted by general relativity and has been observed and confirmed through astronomical observations.

5. Is it possible to travel through time with the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity does allow for the possibility of time travel, but it would require traveling at incredibly high speeds or in the presence of a very strong gravitational field. However, the practicality and feasibility of time travel are still highly debated and not currently possible with our current understanding of physics.