Special Rel. 4 momenta, particle decay.

In terms of the lab frame, you should be able to use the velocity addition formula to find it's speed along the x-axis.In summary, the conversation discusses a particle X traveling with speed 0.8c on the x-axis in the lab frame and its decay into two particles A and B with mass mx/4. The four-vector momentum and energy of the particles are calculated in terms of mx and their speed in the rest frame of X is found to be β=## \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}## for each particle. The conversation also mentions the use of the velocity addition formula to find the particles' speed in the lab frame.
Awesomesauce

Homework Statement

A particle X with rest mass mx is traveling with speed vx = 0.8c along
the x-axis in the lab frame.
(a) Write down the four-vector momentum of the particle in the lab frame
in terms of vx and mx.
The particle decays to two particles, A and B, each with mass mx/4.
Calculate the energy of these particles, in terms of mx, in the rest frame of
X. Calculate their speed in this frame.

Homework Equations

E=γmc[itex]^{2}[/itex]
E=mc[itex]^{2}[/itex]+pc
note: four mom. vector = [px,py,pz,E/c] here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I have the 4 momenta which is p = [E=γmx0.8c, 0, 0, E=γmxc]. so γ=5/3 using the velocity given?
I am having trouble finding the energy and speed of the particles in the rest frame.
I think I have mxc[itex]^{2}[/itex]=Ea+Eb. Ea=Eb does it not? In that case
Ea+Eb=E=γ(m[itex]_{x}[/itex]/2)c[itex]^{2}[/itex]
because Ea = E=γ(m[itex]_{x}[/itex]/4)c[itex]^{2}[/itex].
I think I have some bad logic somewhere. I get γ=2 from this, so β=v/c=[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2?
If this is correct, is this v/c value for both particles? As they are traveling in opposite directions. It's mostly the intuition which confuses me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesomesauce said:
Alright, so I have the 4 momenta which is p = [E=γmx0.8c, 0, 0, E=γmxc]. so γ=5/3 using the velocity given?
Yes. Good.

I am having trouble finding the energy and speed of the particles in the rest frame.
I think I have mxc[itex]^{2}[/itex]=Ea+Eb. Ea=Eb does it not?
Yes, but you shouldn't be hesitant on this point! Remember, 3-momentum must also be conserved and the created particles have equal mass.

In that case
Ea+Eb=E=γ(m[itex]_{x}[/itex]/2)c[itex]^{2}[/itex]
because Ea = E=γ(m[itex]_{x}[/itex]/4)c[itex]^{2}[/itex].
I think I have some bad logic somewhere.
I'd say your logic is great here!

I get γ=2 from this, so β=v/c=[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2?
If this is correct, is this v/c value for both particles? As they are traveling in opposite directions. It's mostly the intuition which confuses me.
Each final particle has β=## \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}## in this frame of reference.

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to particle decay?

Special relativity is a theory in physics that explains how the laws of physics apply in different reference frames. It is relevant to particle decay because it describes how the energy and momentum of particles change as they move at high speeds, which is necessary for understanding particle decay processes.

2. How are 4-momenta used to describe particle decay?

4-momenta is a mathematical concept in special relativity that combines the energy and momentum of a particle into a single vector. This vector is used to describe the properties of particles involved in a particle decay process, such as their masses and energies.

3. What is the significance of the conservation of 4-momenta in particle decay?

The conservation of 4-momenta is a fundamental law in special relativity that states that the total 4-momenta of all particles involved in a reaction must remain constant before and after the reaction. This law is crucial in understanding and predicting the outcomes of particle decay processes.

4. How does special relativity explain the decay of unstable particles?

Special relativity explains the decay of unstable particles by considering the energy and momentum of the particle relative to an observer. If the particle has enough energy to break apart, it will decay into more stable particles, following the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

5. Can special relativity be applied to all types of particle decay?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to all types of particle decay, including electromagnetic, strong, and weak interactions. This is because special relativity is a fundamental theory that governs the behavior of particles at high speeds, which is relevant to all types of particle decay processes.