Special Relativity - Angle Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses a rod of length L_0 moving at a speed v and making an angle of θ_0 with the x'-axis. The length of the rod as measured by a stationary observer is given by L=L_0√(1-(v^2/c^2)cos^2θ_0), and the angle that the rod makes with the x-axis is given by tanθ=γtanθ_0, where γ=1/√(1-(v^2/c^2)). The conversation also mentions the relationships γ=1/√(1-(v^2/c^2)), L=L_0/γ, {L_0}^2=(x')
Rubber Ducky

Homework Statement

A rod of length [itex]L_0[/itex] moves with a speed [itex]v[/itex] along the horizontal direction. The rod makes an angle of [itex]θ_0[/itex] with respect to the x'-axis.

(a) Show that the length of the rod as measured by a stationary observer is given by

[tex]L=L_0\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}cos^2θ_0}[/tex]

(b) Show that the angle that the rod makes with the x-axis is given by the expression
[tex]tanθ=γtanθ_0[/tex]

(Take the lower end of the rod to be at the origin of the primed coordinate system.)

Homework Equations

[tex]γ=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]L=\frac{L_0}{γ}[/tex]

[itex]{L_0}^2=(x')^2+(y')^2[/itex] and [itex]L^2=x^2+y^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x and y be the rod's length and height (picture the rod forming the hypotenuse of a right triangle):

[itex]x'=L_0cosθ_0[/itex]

There is no movement in the y (or y') direction, so [itex]y'=y=L_0sinθ_0[/itex]

Meanwhile, the x component will contract in the non-prime reference frame, so [itex]x=\frac{x'}{γ}=\frac{L_0cosθ_0}{γ}[/itex]

Thus [itex]L^2=x^2+y^2=\frac{L_0^2cos^2θ_0}{γ^2}+L_0^2sin^2θ_0[/itex]

The algebra gets messy at this point, and I'm not sure what methods I should be using to yield the required form. I looked at my trig identities but none really seemed to fit the situation. And hopefully I haven't made a silly error in the physics side of things!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rubber Ducky said:
Thus [itex]L^2=x^2+y^2=\frac{L_0^2cos^2θ_0}{γ^2}+L_0^2sin^2θ_0[/itex]

The algebra gets messy at this point, and I'm not sure what methods I should be using to yield the required form.

Write out the γ2 factor in terms of v/c and simplify. It's not too bad.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames.

2. What are angle transformations in special relativity?

Angle transformations in special relativity refer to the mathematical equations used to convert angles measured in one reference frame to angles measured in another reference frame. This is necessary because space and time are relative and can appear differently to observers in different frames of reference.

3. How do angle transformations differ from traditional geometry?

Angle transformations in special relativity differ from traditional geometry because they take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This means that angles measured in one reference frame may appear differently in another reference frame due to the relative motion between the two frames.

4. Can angle transformations be applied to all types of angles?

Yes, angle transformations can be applied to all types of angles, including those measured in 2D and 3D space. However, they are most commonly used in the context of spacetime diagrams, where angles are measured between the world lines of objects in motion.

5. How do angle transformations support the principles of special relativity?

Angle transformations support the principles of special relativity by allowing us to calculate and understand how angles appear to observers in different reference frames. This helps to demonstrate that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, as predicted by special relativity.