Special relativity - constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for a rocket flying away from Earth with constant acceleration, and the maximum time after its departure when it becomes impossible for messages from Earth to reach the rocket. The first part of the problem is solved, resulting in the equation x = √(1+a^2t^2)-1/a. For the second part, there is a discussion about the world line of a signal sent from Earth at the speed of light and the condition for the event at which the signal reaches the rocket. The correct world line is x = t-T, and the resulting requirement for the signal to reach the rocket is t-T = √(1+a^2t^2)-1/a. It is
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

A rocket is flying away from the Earth with a costant acceleration ##a## in a frame in which the rocket is at rest. Finding the equation of motion (the relation between the distance from the Earth and the terrestrial time). Showing that there is a maximum time ##T## after the departure, after which it's impossible to send messages from the Earth which can reach the rocket; calculating the relation between ##T## and ##a##.

Homework Equations

$$a^\mu=\biggr(\gamma\frac{d\gamma}{dt},\gamma\frac{d(\gamma\vec{v})}{dt}\biggr)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the first part without problems and the result is:
$$x=\frac{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}-1}{a}$$
But for the second part I don't know what to do, I need a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the world line of a signal that is sent from the Earth at the speed of light? What is the condition for the event at which this signal arrives to the rocket?

Orodruin said:
What is the world line of a signal that is sent from the Earth at the speed of light? What is the condition for the event at which this signal arrives to the rocket?

The world line is a straight line with an inclination of 45° in t-x plane, and the condition is that ##ds^2=0##. So ##t^2-x^2=0## and I can substitute the relation for ##x## found in the first part, but after calcus I've found ##\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}=1##. If ##a^2t^2 << 1## the relation is approximately true, so ##t<<\frac{1}{a}##. I'm not so sure this is correct, where is the mistake?

Aleolomorfo said:
So ##t^2-x^2=0##

This is not correct. The world line does not pass the event ##(t,x) = (0,0)## as it is released at time ##t = T## from ##x = 0##. Note that ##ds^2 = 0## will give you a differential equation for ##x## as a function of ##t##. To get the right world line, you also should take into account that the direction of the signal needs to be towards the rocket (this will fix the direction in which the signal travels).

Aleolomorfo said:
I've found ##\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}=1##.
This can never be satisfied as ##\sqrt{1+a^2t^2} > 1## if ##t \neq 0##. What you have computed is when a light signal sent at the same time as the rocket departs meets the rocket. Since the rocket can never reach light speed or faster, the only solution is ##t = 0##. You need to use a world line of a signal that is sent at a later time ##t = T##.

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. The world line does not pass the event ##(t,x) = (0,0)## as it is released at time ##t = T## from ##x = 0##. Note that ##ds^2 = 0## will give you a differential equation for ##x## as a function of ##t##. To get the right world line, you also should take into account that the direction of the signal needs to be towards the rocket (this will fix the direction in which the signal travels).This can never be satisfied as ##\sqrt{1+a^2t^2} > 1## if ##t \neq 0##. What you have computed is when a light signal sent at the same time as the rocket departs meets the rocket. Since the rocket can never reach light speed or faster, the only solution is ##t = 0##. You need to use a world line of a signal that is sent at a later time ##t = T##.

Thank you, I have seen my mistake but I still have difficulties in understanding what I have to do. Do I have to impose ##(t-T)^2-x^2=0##? And then what do I have to do? It seems that I just obtain a formula for ##T## and nothing else.

Your equation for the world-line of the signal implies that ##x = \pm (t - T)##. Which of the signs is compatible with the signal being sent in the same direction as the rocket? (If you send it in the other direction it will obviously never catch it.)

What is the resulting requirement for the signal catching the rocket? If that requirement can be satisfied for a fixed ##T##, then the signal will reach the rocket. If it cannot be satisfied, then the signal can never reach the rocket.

Orodruin said:
Your equation for the world-line of the signal implies that ##x = \pm (t - T)##. Which of the signs is compatible with the signal being sent in the same direction as the rocket? (If you send it in the other direction it will obviously never catch it.)

What is the resulting requirement for the signal catching the rocket? If that requirement can be satisfied for a fixed ##T##, then the signal will reach the rocket. If it cannot be satisfied, then the signal can never reach the rocket.

The correct sign is plus: ##x=t-T##. I think the requirment is the intersection:
$$t-T=\frac{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}-1}{a}$$
$$T=t+\frac{1-\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}{a}$$

I got that over a certain value of ##T## there is no intersection and so the message can't reach the rocket, but how can I extrapolate the result from the equation above. I know deeply that the result is in front of my eyes but I can't really see it.

What value of ##T## corresponds to ##t \to \infty##?

Alternatively, solve the equation for ##t##, not ##T##. This ##t## is the time that the signal reaches the rocket. If there is no solution, then the signal never reaches the rocket. (Beware of false solutions introduced by squaring stuff.)

Orodruin said:
What value of ##T## corresponds to ##t \to \infty##?

Alternatively, solve the equation for ##t##, not ##T##. This ##t## is the time that the signal reaches the rocket. If there is no solution, then the signal never reaches the rocket. (Beware of false solutions introduced by squaring stuff.)

The limit is ##1/a## (I hope the calcus is not wrong). So I can say: if the time at which I send the signal is grater than ##1/a## it will never reach the rocket, otherwise it will, right? I think (and hope) this is the correct answer.

1. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the effects of constant velocity on objects, while general relativity includes the effects of acceleration and gravity. Special relativity applies to objects moving at a constant speed, while general relativity applies to objects in non-uniform motion, including those affected by gravity.

2. How does constant acceleration affect time dilation in special relativity?

According to special relativity, time passes slower for objects that are accelerating compared to those that are stationary. This means that as an object's velocity increases, time for that object will appear to slow down from an outside observer's perspective.

3. Can special relativity explain the twin paradox?

Yes, the twin paradox is a thought experiment that demonstrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves one twin traveling at high speeds and the other staying on Earth, and when the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their sibling on Earth.

4. How does special relativity impact our understanding of the speed of light?

Special relativity states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities. This means that no matter how fast an object is moving, the speed of light will always be measured as the same constant value.

5. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is used in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators.