Special Relativity Course at World Science University by Brian Greene

In summary, the Special Relativity course by Brian Greene at World Science U is a well-researched and interesting course that is helpful for students of relativity and quantum physics.
Andy_K
Gold Member
Dear All,

Just wanted to share this excellent free Special Relativity online course I came across by Brian Greene, which I believe is one of the best around. Not sure if it's been shared before here.

r0RhYA2.jpg

Special Relativity — World Science U, by Brian Greene
http://www.worldscienceu.com/courses/university/special-relativity

The lectures are clear and interesting, supplemented with intuitive animations, interactive demonstrations and excellent exercises (each question comes with a video to explain the answer). There's also a final exam, upon which you can obtain a certificate of achievement if you score 75% or more.

Only problem is the interactive demos require a Wolfram CDF plugin, which doesn't work on most browsers anymore due to deprecated plugin technology. I found a temporary workaround for Firefox, where you have to install their ESR version, and the plugin will work (at least until early 2018). You can download it here:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Happy learning!

Likes Battlemage!
Physics news on Phys.org
I did this one out of curiosity when it first came out. It's a pretty thorough treatment, with plenty of repetitious reinforcement to bang the points home. He has put a lot of work into the presentations, problems and supplementary material. I know Brian Greene comes in for a lot of stick about his pop-sci interludes, but this is not one of those.

Likes Andy_K
Yup, can see that he really put in a lot of effort, especially with the detailed animations and video explanations for every single question (I believe there are at least 100 - 200 of them!). He did an amazing job with World Science U. I would be willing to pay for such a good course.

Have you tried the Master courses on World Science U by other lecturers, are they good? I briefly checked out the Loop Quantum Gravity course there but it just seemed like a normal video lecture with no interactive demos or questions.

Would be great if you can share some recommendations on other good online courses, especially for relativity and quantum physics.

I certainly hope he'll release a course for General Relativity soon!
m4r35n357 said:
I did this one out of curiosity when it first came out. It's a pretty thorough treatment, with plenty of repetitious reinforcement to bang the points home. He has put a lot of work into the presentations, problems and supplementary material. I know Brian Greene comes in for a lot of stick about his pop-sci interludes, but this is not one of those.

Who founded the "world science university"? Anyone to introduce please?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the motion of objects. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames.

2. Who is Brian Greene?

Brian Greene is a theoretical physicist and professor at Columbia University. He is best known for his work in string theory and his popular science books, such as "The Elegant Universe". He also founded the World Science Festival and is a co-founder of the World Science University.

3. What will I learn in the special relativity course at World Science University?

In this course, you will learn the fundamental principles of special relativity, including the concept of spacetime, the Lorentz transformation, and time dilation. You will also explore the implications of special relativity in areas such as mass-energy equivalence and the twin paradox.

4. Do I need to have a background in physics to take this course?

Some basic knowledge of physics and mathematics is recommended, but the course is designed to be accessible to anyone with an interest in the topic. The course also includes interactive simulations and visualizations to help understand the concepts.

5. Is this course only for students pursuing a career in science?

No, this course is open to anyone who is curious about special relativity and wants to deepen their understanding of the universe. It is a great opportunity for lifelong learners and those interested in exploring the wonders of the physical world.