Special Relativity - Length Contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of contracted length and the additional term of ##v \Delta t## in the non-relative simultaneous frame. It also touches on the observation of a moving object and the concept of Terrell rotation. The speaker is seeking clarification on why the contracted length is not the same as the rest observer's measurement.
Destroxia
1. Homework Statement

Why does the non-relative simultaneous frame have an additional term of ##v \Delta t## along with the contracted length ## L ## for ## \Delta x ##?

2. Homework Equations

## L + v \Delta t = \Delta x ## ---- (1)

## \Delta x = \gamma \Delta x' = \gamma L_{\star} ## ---- (2)

lengthcontraction.png

3. The Attempt at a Solution

What I understand:
I understand why Length AB within the above diagram is ## L_{\star} ## (Proper Length), it is because that frame is moving with the object (ct', x'), and thus the object appears to be still, and the measurement for the distance shouldn't change if you are still with the object. I understand that AD is ## \Delta x ## in the rest frame (ct, x), and that DB is ## c \Delta t ## in the rest frame (ct, x), as well.

What I don't understand:
What I am not understanding in the least, is the AC section... How is that ## L ## (Contracted Length)? Shouldn't contracted length just be whatever the rest observer is seeing (i.e. The length AD)? Why is the rest observer seeing the contracted length AC, with C along the world line of B? What exactly is CB? I know the object appears to be moving distance ## v \Delta t ##, so that's what CD is, but I still can't see why the new length ## L ## isn't AD, and not AC.

Attachments

• lengthcontraction.png
    lengthcontraction.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is length contraction in special relativity?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in special relativity where an object's length appears shorter when it is moving at a high speed relative to an observer. This is due to the fact that space and time are not absolute, and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because of the time dilation effect in special relativity. As an object moves at a high speed, its time slows down relative to an observer. This means that the object's internal clock is ticking slower, causing it to appear shorter in length to the observer.

3. Is length contraction a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real phenomenon that has been observed and proven through experiments. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is essential in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds.

4. Does length contraction affect all objects equally?

No, length contraction affects objects differently depending on their speed. The faster an object moves, the more it will appear contracted in length to an observer. This effect is only significant at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. How does length contraction relate to time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin in special relativity. As an object's length appears shorter due to its high speed, its time also slows down. This is why they are often described together as the "twin paradox" in special relativity.