Special Relativity spaceship problem

In summary, according to the length contraction formula, the spaceship crew will measure the lab on Earth to be shorter than its proper length due to their relative velocity of 0.99c. The length they measure will be approximately 34.36m.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

You are on Earth as a spaceship flies past at a speed of 0.99c relative to the earth. A high-intensity signal light on the ship blinks on and off, each pulse lasting 2.2 × 10^(−6) s, as measured on the spacecraft .

Your laboratory on Earth has a length of 56.4m. How long does the spaceship crew measure it to be?

Homework Equations

length contraction

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am viewing the question like this. If I am standing on the spaceship as this is my frame of ref; right? The the proper length would be unknown as proper length is only measure when me for example is at rest, so I the thought that if I am at rest on the ship the Earth is moving 0.99c relative to me, therefore I transposed the length contraction formula to get my ans.

L_0= proper length
L= length on Earth

so If I use the length contraction formula to solve for L_0 I would get what the i view it on the space ship, is this correct?

my ans was 59.8m from space ship.

Very new to special relativity so still getting my head round it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it backwards. The proper length of the lab is the length measured in its rest frame, which is the Earth's frame. The spaceship crew will measure that length to be less.

Likes Taylor_1989

1. How does time dilation affect space travel in special relativity?

In special relativity, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds. This means that time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to those that are stationary. This effect is especially significant for objects traveling at speeds close to the speed of light, such as a spaceship. As a result, astronauts on a spaceship will experience time passing slower than those on Earth.

2. What is the twin paradox in special relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves two twins, one who stays on Earth and one who travels in a spaceship at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns to Earth after a long journey, they will be younger than the twin who stayed on Earth. This paradox demonstrates the asymmetry of time dilation and the impact of high speeds on the passage of time.

3. Can an object travel faster than the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, it will experience time dilation and its mass will also increase, making it impossible for it to reach the speed of light. This is one of the fundamental principles of special relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. How does the concept of simultaneity change in special relativity?

In special relativity, simultaneity is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. This means that two events that appear simultaneous to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer in a different frame of reference. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. What is length contraction in special relativity?

Length contraction is the phenomenon in which an object appears shorter in the direction of motion when it is traveling at high speeds. This is a result of time dilation and the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its length in the direction of motion will appear to shrink to an observer outside of its frame of reference.