Special Relativity: Time Dilation Prob

In summary, it has been 2.5 years since I last did any special relativity so am rather rusty on it, I have a simple time dilation problem and its making my head hurt which way around it should be. Any help much appreciated!
ChrisJ
It has been 2.5years since I last did any special relativity so am rather rusty on it, I have a simple time dilation problem and its making my head hurt which way around it should be. Any help much appreciated!

1. Homework Statement

Bob leaves Sarah on Earth and travels in a spaceship at 0.8c in a straight line to planet Bongo and then turns around and travels now at 0.9c back to Earth. To Sarah on Earth, planet Bongo is 1lyr away. Ignoring any acceleration effects, by how much have Bob and Sarah aged when Bob returns to Earth.

Homework Equations

##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} ##
##\Delta t ' = \gamma \Delta t##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Originally, I had Sarah's frame as the rest frame, and therefore if traveling at 0.8c it should take 1/0.8=1.25 years to get to Bongo and 1/0.9=1.1 years to get back.

The gamma factor for the outbound journey is ##\gamma_o = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-0.8^2}} = 1.6## and for the return journey is ##\gamma_r = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-0.9^2}} = 2.29##

Without looking at the equations, or drawing a spacetime diagram, I reminded myself of the twin paradox and similar problems, that if one travels on a spaceship at close to light sped and returns, everyone on Earth is older than expected. Remembering this I thought, well that means

that for Bob it has been ##1.25+1.1=2.35## years whilst for Sarah its been ##(1.25)(1.6) + (1.1)(2.29) = 4.5 ##years

But then after drawing a space-time diagram, I think that was wrong and that it is actually that for Sarah it has been ##1.25+1.1=2.35## years whilst for Bob it has only been ##\frac{1.25}{1.6}+\frac{1.1}{2.39} = 1.26## years.

And now I am pretty certain its the latter, but am self doubting. As I said its been almost 3 years since I have I had to think about SR or done any SR problems. Any help is much appreicated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you analyse the problem in Sarah's frame, then SR doesn't enter into her calculations. It's a simple ##t = d/v## problem!

Likes ChrisJ
PeroK said:
If you analyse the problem in Sarah's frame, then SR doesn't enter into her calculations. It's a simple ##t = d/v## problem!

Yeah that is how I started, as you can see that is what I did to get the 1.25yrs and 1.1yrs, but then somehow I got confused. But I did realize my mistake and by the time I had finished writing this post was certain that my second attempt was correct, but as I spent the time to write it out I thought I may as well post it.

Likes PeroK

Related to Special Relativity: Time Dilation Prob

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory in physics that explains how time and space are affected by the relative motion of objects. It was developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 and has been validated by numerous experiments since then.

2. What is Time Dilation in Special Relativity?

Time Dilation is a phenomenon in Special Relativity where time appears to move slower for objects that are moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that an observer will measure a longer time interval for a moving clock than for a stationary clock.

3. How does Time Dilation work?

Time Dilation occurs because according to Special Relativity, the laws of physics are the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that if one observer is moving at a high speed relative to another observer, they will measure time differently due to the different perception of space and time caused by their relative motion.

4. Is Time Dilation a real effect?

Yes, Time Dilation has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is a well-established phenomenon in physics. It has also been used in practical applications such as the Global Positioning System (GPS) to account for the time difference between satellites and receivers.

5. What are some examples of Time Dilation?

Some examples of Time Dilation include the famous Twin Paradox, where one twin travels at high speeds and returns to find that they have aged less than their stationary twin, and the Muon Experiment, where muons (subatomic particles) traveling at high speeds have longer lifetimes than those at rest. Time Dilation has also been observed in particle accelerators and in space travel.