Special relativity - transformation of electromagnetic fields

In summary, Fred found a solution to the homework statement by transforming the equations of motion to the unprimed frame.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

In a reference frame ##S## there is a particle with mass ##m## and charge ##q## which is moving with velocity ##\vec{u}## in an electric field ##\vec{E}## and in a magnetic field ##\vec{B}##. Knowing the relativisitc laws of motion for a particle in an EM field, find the transformation laws for ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## to a reference frame ##S'## which is moving with velocity ##v## along the ##x## axis.

Homework Equations

Relativisitc laws of motion:
$$\frac{d\epsilon}{dt}=q\vec{u}\cdot\vec{E}$$
$$\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}=q(\vec{E}+\vec{u}\times\vec{B})$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have to change the equations of motion in order to obtain the same identical equations with primed quantities. I can change the velocities, the coordinates and the momenta, imposing that the equations of motion must be equal to the above ones but with primed quantities I think I can obtain what the exercise want.
I've split the second equation in the three components, knowing that:
$$\vec{u}\times\vec{B}=\begin{vmatrix}\hat{x}&\hat{y}&\hat{z}\\u_x&u_y&u_z\\B_x&B_y&B_z\end{vmatrix}=\hat{x}(u_yB_z-u_zB_y)+\hat{y}(u_zB_x-u_xB_z)+\hat{z}(u_xB_y-u_yB_x)$$
Then I've changed the velocities using ##u_x=\frac{u'_x+v}{1+vu'_x}##, ##u_y=\frac{u'_y}{\gamma(1+vu_x)}##, ##u_z=\frac{u'_z}{\gamma(1+vu'_x)}##; and the for the left hand side I've used this change:##\frac{d}{dt}=\frac{dt'}{dt}\frac{d}{dt'}+\frac{dx'}{dt}\frac{d}{dx'}=\gamma\frac{d}{dt}-\gamma v\frac{d}{dx}## and also the lorentz tranformations for 4-moment. After doing all this changes the equations are messy and I don't find a way to arrange the terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleolomorfo said:
Relativisitc laws of motion:
$$\frac{d\epsilon}{dt}=q\vec{u}\cdot\vec{E}$$ $$\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}=q(\vec{E}+\vec{u}\times\vec{B})$$
I can get you started on one approach that will work. Multiply these equations by dt to obtain
$$d\epsilon=q\vec{dx}\cdot\vec{E}$$ $$d\vec{p}=q(\vec{E}dt+\vec{dx}\times\vec{B})$$
Here, ##\vec{dx}## is the displacement of the particle during the time ##dt##.

The same equations must hold in the primed frame. So,
$$d\epsilon'=q\vec{dx'}\cdot\vec{E}'$$ $$d\vec{p'}=q(\vec{E}'dt'+\vec{dx'}\times\vec{B}')$$
Use transformation equations to transform ##d\epsilon'## and the components of ##d\vec{p'}## on the left to the unprimed frame and to transform ##dt'## and the components of ##\vec{dx'}## on the right to the unprimed frame.

Then see if you can go from there.

Likes Aleolomorfo
TSny said:
I can get you started on one approach that will work. Multiply these equations by dt to obtain
$$d\epsilon=q\vec{dx}\cdot\vec{E}$$ $$d\vec{p}=q(\vec{E}dt+\vec{dx}\times\vec{B})$$
Here, ##\vec{dx}## is the displacement of the particle during the time ##dt##.

The same equations must hold in the primed frame. So,
$$d\epsilon'=q\vec{dx'}\cdot\vec{E}'$$ $$d\vec{p'}=q(\vec{E}'dt'+\vec{dx'}\times\vec{B}')$$
Use transformation equations to transform ##d\epsilon'## and the components of ##d\vec{p'}## on the left to the unprimed frame and to transform ##dt'## and the components of ##\vec{dx'}## on the right to the unprimed frame.

Then see if you can go from there.

Thank you very much for your help. I've found the solution!

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move at speeds close to the speed of light. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is always the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does special relativity affect the transformation of electromagnetic fields?

Special relativity shows that electric and magnetic fields are inextricably linked and are part of a single entity called the electromagnetic field. As an object moves at high speeds, these fields transform in a way that maintains their overall magnitude but changes their direction and strength in the observer's frame of reference. This transformation is known as the Lorentz transformation and is a key concept in special relativity.

3. What is the importance of the transformation of electromagnetic fields in special relativity?

The transformation of electromagnetic fields is essential in special relativity because it allows us to understand how these fields behave in different frames of reference. It also helps us to reconcile the laws of electromagnetism with the principles of special relativity, which are crucial for our understanding of the universe.

4. How does the transformation of electromagnetic fields affect our everyday lives?

The transformation of electromagnetic fields has a significant impact on our everyday lives, as it underlies our understanding of electricity, magnetism, and light. It allows us to develop technologies such as GPS systems, which rely on the precise measurement of time and the accurate transformation of electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics, guiding our understanding of everything from subatomic particles to the universe as a whole.

5. Are there any practical applications of the transformation of electromagnetic fields in special relativity?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the transformation of electromagnetic fields in special relativity. One example is in particle accelerators, where the transformation of electric and magnetic fields is used to accelerate particles to high speeds. Another example is in the development of satellites and spacecraft, where precise calculations of the transformation of electromagnetic fields are crucial for navigation and communication. The principles of special relativity and the transformation of electromagnetic fields also have practical applications in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and advanced imaging techniques.