Special Relativity violation via Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: And fields can have properties that are not associated with any particular "object". So in relativistic QM, an object can have a property that is associated with its field, but the field could be in any location in the universe.
thedubdude
TL;DR Summary
Can quantum objects violate Special Relativity. A momentum measurement can cause a quantum object to appear anywhere in the universe because the position probability never goes to zero.
We know that both momentum and position can not be known precisely simultaneously. The more precisely momentum is known means position is more uncertain. In fact, as I understand quantum mechanics, position probability never extends to 0% anywhere in the universe (except at infinity) for any quantum object whose momentum is known ... to some degree (but not precisely). This means the objects position could be anywhere, even for example, a billion light years from the position at which the momentum measurement was made (of course with increasingly lower probability). But if the object actually ended up, a billion light years away, wouldn’t that violate special relativity? The object would seemingly have traveled 1 billion light years away from the momentum measurement event in no time at all. How is that possible without violating the speed of light as the fastest speed anything can travel?

Physics news on Phys.org
thedubdude said:
Summary:: Can quantum objects violate Special Relativity. A momentum measurement can cause a quantum object to appear anywhere in the universe because the position probability never goes to zero.

How is that possible without violating the speed of light as the fastest speed anything can travel?
Quantum field theory does not violate special relativity. It has special relativity built into it.

The uncertainty principle describes states, not measurements. This means that if you produce a state with completely certain momentum then the state has completely uncertain position. You can measure the position and momentum to arbitrary precision and the momentum will always be the same but the position will be all over.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
Notice that the usual Uncertainty relations have to be modified if you care about relativistic physics. See the introduction in Landau and Liftshitz "quantum electrodynamics".

Likes hutchphd, Dale, dextercioby and 1 other person
thedubdude said:
Summary:: Can quantum objects violate Special Relativity. A momentum measurement can cause a quantum object to appear anywhere in the universe because the position probability never goes to zero.
See also QFT for the Gifted Amateur. Section 8.3 is entitled The Death of Single-Particle QM, and includes a calculation that the probability of finding a particle outside its future light cone is non-zero. Cue Multi-Particle Quantum Field Theory.

Likes Lynch101, Dale, dextercioby and 1 other person
andresB said:
Notice that the usual Uncertainty relations have to be modified if you care about relativistic physics. See the introduction in Landau and Liftshitz "quantum electrodynamics".
I don't have access to this volume. Perhaps you could give a brief summary and explanation? Thanks.

PeroK said:
See also QFT for the Gifted Amateur. Section 8.3 is entitled The Death of Single-Particle QM, and includes a calculation that the probability of finding a particle outside its future light cone is non-zero. Cue Multi-Particle Quantum Field Theory.
I don't have this book. Please be so kind as to give a brief summary of how this relates to my question. Thanks.

Dale said:
Quantum field theory does not violate special relativity. It has special relativity built into it.

The uncertainty principle describes states, not measurements. This means that if you produce a state with completely certain momentum then the state has completely uncertain position. You can measure the position and momentum to arbitrary precision and the momentum will always be the same but the position will be all over.
I don't understand how this resolves my original question? Please elaborate. Thanks.

thedubdude said:
I don't have this book. Please be so kind as to give a brief summary of how this relates to my question. Thanks.
The answer is no, quantum objects cannot violate SR (Special Relativity).

If you naively assume basic QM then you can create violations of SR. That's what is presented in the QFT book I mentioned. That indicates that basic QM must be upgraded to a more sophisticated theory that is compatible with SR. That's where QFT (Quantum Field Theory) comes in.

Likes vanhees71
thedubdude said:
We know that both momentum and position can not be known precisely simultaneously. The more precisely momentum is known means position is more uncertain. In fact, as I understand quantum mechanics, position probability never extends to 0% anywhere in the universe (except at infinity) for any quantum object whose momentum is known ... to some degree (but not precisely). This means the objects position could be anywhere, even for example, a billion light years from the position at which the momentum measurement was made (of course with increasingly lower probability). But if the object actually ended up, a billion light years away, wouldn’t that violate special relativity? The object would seemingly have traveled 1 billion light years away from the momentum measurement event in no time at all. How is that possible without violating the speed of light as the fastest speed anything can travel?
All of this is based on a model of "objects" that "move". But relativistic QM, i.e., quantum field theory, is not a theory of "objects". It's a theory of quantum fields. What we normally think of as "objects" are just particular states of quantum fields, and what we normally think of as "motion" is a particular kind of distribution of quantum field states in spacetime.

In other words, in order to understand relativistic QM, you have to change your fundamental model of what your theory is a theory of.

Likes vela, vanhees71 and phinds
thedubdude said:
the speed of light as the fastest speed anything can travel?
It's worth noting that the "causality" limitation in SR--which is normally stated as "nothing can move faster than light"--is somewhat different in QFT. In QFT, as noted in my previous post, we don't actually have "objects" that "move" in the same sense as in classical SR. The QFT "causality" condition is simply that measurements of quantum fields at spacelike separated events must commute--i.e., their results cannot depend on the order in which they are made. This makes sense because if two events are spacelike separated, their ordering is frame-dependent, and physical observables should not depend on something that is frame-dependent.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Likes hutchphd and vanhees71
thedubdude said:
I don't understand how this resolves my original question? Please elaborate. Thanks.
Your analysis used the wrong version of QM. You need to use quantum field theorem. There is no possible way to get a violation of SR with QFT since SR is built into the theory from the foundation.

Likes vanhees71
The most concise explanation of this issue can be found in

S. Weinberg, The Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 1, CUP (1995)

There the necessity for the microcausality condition and the related properties like the unitarity and Poincare covariance of the S-matrix elements and the cluster-decomposition principles are very clearly explained in a modern no-nonsense way.

Likes Dale

1. What is Special Relativity violation via Quantum Mechanics?

Special Relativity violation via Quantum Mechanics is a theoretical concept that suggests that the principles of Special Relativity, which describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, may be violated at the quantum level. This means that the laws of physics may behave differently for subatomic particles than they do for larger objects.

2. How does this theory contradict Einstein's theory of Special Relativity?

Einstein's theory of Special Relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. However, the theory of Special Relativity violation via Quantum Mechanics suggests that at the quantum level, these laws may behave differently, creating a contradiction with Einstein's theory.

3. Is there any evidence to support this theory?

At this time, there is no direct evidence to support the theory of Special Relativity violation via Quantum Mechanics. However, some experiments, such as the famous double-slit experiment, have shown strange behaviors at the quantum level that do not align with the principles of Special Relativity. This has led some scientists to theorize that there may be a violation of Special Relativity at the quantum level.

4. What are the implications of this theory?

If the theory of Special Relativity violation via Quantum Mechanics is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially lead to a new understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and could impact many areas of science, including quantum mechanics, cosmology, and even engineering.

5. How are scientists studying this theory?

Scientists are currently studying this theory through various experiments and theoretical models. Some are conducting experiments to observe the behavior of particles at high speeds, while others are using mathematical models to explore the implications of a violation of Special Relativity at the quantum level. However, more research and evidence are needed to fully understand the validity of this theory.