Special theory of relativity argument

In summary: So even before doing any statistical error analysis or considering interferometry measurements, we're talking about better than one part in ten thousand. More sophisticated measurements than this naive "how far down the off-ramp did I go before the GPS figured out that I took the wrong exit?" are orders of magnitude better than that.Without corrections for relativity, GPS measurements would be wrong by about 6 miles per day.
exponent137
Some layman people are against special relativity and stubbornly persist on their theories.
One man put the model that the speed of photon is c + v, where v is speed of source. In such case Michelson interferometer is not a good anti-argument.

What is, in your opinion about the most simple and effective experimental or theoretical argument against the above model (for educated non-physicist.)
He wishes an experiment, where source of light is moving.
I gave an argument about the speed of OPERA neutrinos, but argumentation is not easy.
All physics is against the above model, but anti-argumentation is not easy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you rule out explaining the details of the Michelson-Morley experiment, there is not much that you can say scientifically. But you can describe the history. Just about everyone believed that the velocities should add. Or that aether existed. They tried really hard to find experiments and theories that would support that belief. The experimental results left no alternative to the speed of light being constant.

Likes exponent137
It is strange to me, that no experiment exists to simply rule out c+v model. Is it something similar to OPERA, where source is moving and photons are used instead of neutrinos?

exponent137 said:
One man put the model that the speed of photon is c + v, where v is speed of source. In such case Michelson interferometer is not a good anti-argument.
I thought that was the whole argument? If c+v is one direction c-v would be the opposite direction. We simply see "c" and "v" has no effect on the results.

You might describe briefly that light behaves like a wave going through a stationary field, unaffected by the speed of the source, but that all inertial frames measure it's speed the same in their reference frame. That can lead to a discussion of the relativity of simultaneity, distance, and time.

Likes exponent137
FactChecker said:
You might describe briefly that light behaves like a wave going through a stationary field, unaffected by the speed of the source, but that all inertial frames measure it's speed the same in their reference frame. That can lead to a discussion of the relativity of simultaneity, distance, and time.
Yes, but I do not know an example where speed of light is measured from non-rest source?
I agree, nonsimultaneity is an important argument, but not in one step.

Or maybe, Maxwell equations are independent from speed of source, they always give result c, as speed of light?

exponent137 said:
Yes, but I do not know an example where speed of light is measured from non-rest source?
You mean other than the Earth?
I agree, nonsimultaneity is an important argument, but not in one step.
Only if they are interested. But it is the root cause of it all.

Likes exponent137
FactChecker said:
You mean other than the Earth?
Only if they are interested. But it is the root cause of it all.
It is not important if source is other than earth, I think, if speed of source is minuscule, it can be measured.

And my question above: Do maxwell equations always give speed of light as c? This can be an effective answer.

exponent137 said:
Transmission of radio signals between Earth and spacecraft

Likes exponent137
Nugatory said:
Transmission of radio signals between Earth and spacecraft
Was this speed of "light" measured precisely enough?

exponent137 said:
I do not know an example where speed of light is measured from non-rest source?

Tests of Light Speed from Moving Sources (from the FAQ on experimental tests of relativity which is linked at the top of this forum)

exponent137 said:

What is "precisely enough"?

Likes exponent137
exponent137 said:
If the actual speed of the received signal differed from the accepted invariant velocity as a result of the speed of the source, the ground locations computed by a GPS receiver would be systematically wrong. No such systematic errors have ever been seen, and we're working with distances measured in meters after the signal has traveled hundreds of kilometers.
So even before doing any statistical error analysis or considering interferometry measurements, we're talking about better than one part in ten thousand. More sophisticated measurements than this naive "how far down the off-ramp did I go before the GPS figured out that I took the wrong exit?" are orders of magnitude better than that.

Likes teo del fuego, exponent137, FactChecker and 1 other person
Without corrections for relativity, GPS measurements would be wrong by about 6 miles per day.

Likes teo del fuego, exponent137 and jerromyjon
Nugatory said:
If the actual speed of the received signal differed from the accepted invariant velocity as a result of the speed of the source, the ground locations computed by a GPS receiver would be systematically wrong. No such systematic errors have ever been seen, and we're working with distances measured in meters after the signal has traveled hundreds of kilometers.
So even before doing any statistical error analysis or considering interferometry measurements, we're talking about better than one part in ten thousand. More sophisticated measurements than this naive "how far down the off-ramp did I go before the GPS figured out that I took the wrong exit?" are orders of magnitude better than that.
Do you think satelites, or Spacecraft? If you think satelites, you do not think geostationary satelites?

jtbell said:
Tests of Light Speed from Moving Sources (from the FAQ on experimental tests of relativity which is linked at the top of this forum)
What is "precisely enough"?
This link is what I wished. Thanks.
With "precise enough" I thougt more precise than velocity of source of light.

FactChecker said:
Without corrections for relativity, GPS measurements would be wrong by about 6 miles per day.
Yes, but I think that those corrections are for general relativity, I think only about velocity of satelites, that I will not complicate.

exponent137 said:
Yes, but I think that those corrections are for general relativity, I think only about velocity of satelites, that I will not complicate.

Well, if Special Relativity is wrong, what hope would there be for General Relativity? It's not you yourself that is unconvinced, by any chance?

The GPS corrections are for both SR and GR, by the way.

Likes exponent137
PeroK said:
Well, if Special Relativity is wrong, what hope would there be for General Relativity? It's not you yourself that is unconvinced, by any chance?

The GPS corrections are for both SR and GR, by the way.
I think I found:
46 us/day for general relativity, -7 us/day for special relativity. This can be translated into above 6 miles/day.

When I explain to a layman, I need as simple as possible.

Likes FactChecker
exponent137 said:
Do you think satelites, or Spacecraft? If you think satelites, you do not think geostationary satelites?
Either satellites or spacecraft - they're both spacecraft , we just happen to use a different name for the spacecraft that are in semi-permanent Earth orbit, and they're all equally useful as moving light sources.

The GPS satellites are nowhere near geosynchronous, but even if they were... A geosynchronous satellite is moving about 2.5 km/sec faster than the point on the Earth's surface directly below it.

Likes exponent137
exponent137 said:
It is strange to me, that no experiment exists to simply rule out c+v model. Is it something similar to OPERA, where source is moving and photons are used instead of neutrinos?

I didn't read the whole thread, but I don't know why you think that no experiment rules out the c+v model, which is commonly called emission theory.

See for instance the PF Faq, "Experimental basis of Special Relativity", https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/faq-experimental-basis-of-special-relativity.229034/, and chase down through a couple levels of links to arrive at the section on "Tests of light speed from moving sources", http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#moving-source_tests. You might also want to check out the notes on "extinction" earlier in the reference.

Basically there's plenty of tests, and they've been mentioned numerous times. But there's always someone around to ask the same old questions over again. Perhaps we'll see another question along the same lines as early as tomorrow, as someone reads the thread, and gets inspired without reading the responses. Though I can't point too much of a finger at not reading all the responses - I didn't read them all myself, as - well, I've seen this before a few times.

Likes exponent137
exponent137 said:

What is, in your opinion about the most simple and effective experimental or theoretical argument against the above model (for educated non-physicist.)
He wishes an experiment, where source of light is moving.
See http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

In particular section 3.3 Tests of Light Speed from Moving Sources.

My favorite ones are the observations of binary stars. If the speed of light were c+v then binary stars would appear to be three stars then two stars then one star as the stars went forward and backward. It would be very weird and noticeable.

Edit: I see that I am the third or later person to point to the same link. There is a good reason why it is kept as a "sticky thread" on the top of the forum.

Likes exponent137
Indeed, the only good argument, for or against a physics theory is "experimental evidence".

1. What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It is a fundamental theory in the field of physics that explains how objects move in the presence of gravity, and how space and time are affected by motion.

2. How does the Special Theory of Relativity differ from Newton's laws of motion?

The Special Theory of Relativity differs from Newton's laws of motion in several ways. Firstly, it takes into account the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in the universe. Additionally, it states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative speeds. This is in contrast to Newton's laws, which apply only in non-accelerating frames of reference.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in the Special Theory of Relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the Special Theory of Relativity, where time passes slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that time is not absolute, but is relative to the observer's frame of reference. It has been experimentally proven through various tests, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

4. Can the Special Theory of Relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the principles of the Special Theory of Relativity can be applied to everyday situations. For example, GPS systems use the theory to calculate accurate times and positions, and the effects of time dilation have been observed in high-speed particles in accelerators. However, the effects may not be noticeable in our daily lives, as they are only significant at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields.

5. Has the Special Theory of Relativity been proven?

Yes, the Special Theory of Relativity has been repeatedly tested and has been proven to be accurate in explaining the behavior of objects at high speeds. It is one of the most well-established theories in physics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to further testing and refinement as our understanding of the universe evolves.