Specific Energy States for Hydrogen for 486nm (eg 4d-2p)

In summary: These rules determine which transitions are allowed between energy levels. In summary, the question is asking for the specific states involved in the transition from 4d to 2p in a hydrogen atom, and you will need to consider selection rules to determine the correct answer.
SnoopKatt

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-19_2-52-40.png

I figured out 4a, but I'm just struggling a bit with 4b.

Homework Equations

upload_2015-10-19_2-54-12.png

Relevant websites highlighted above (respectively):
http://www.nist.gov/pml/data/handbook/index2.cfm
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html

The Attempt at a Solution

This is regarding question 4b.

While I was able to figure out that ni = 4 and nf = 2, my professor is looking for the specific states (e.g. 4d->2p). I went to his office hours and talked to him, but he didn't really want to point out more than the usual Hydrogen energy level diagrams like found here (I think he was afraid of giving it away. His only hint was that there are "a few"): http://astro.unl.edu/naap/hydrogen/transitions.html

The course is actually a laser class, so unfortunately our textbook does not cover this (we won't use it until later in the year), and none of my old chemistry or quantum notes really help with identifying this. I also did a lot of searching and could never really find anything that talks about this. I also tried using the NIST website and wrote down 5 by looking up H levels between 485 and 487 nm, but he said that was too many. I read somewhere mention that 4d->2p is a valid state, but I could not find any material to back up the claim or how that conclusion was come to. Where would I get started with this problem?

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-19_2-53-46.png
    upload_2015-10-19_2-53-46.png
    4 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
SnoopKatt said:
While I was able to figure out that ni = 4 and nf = 2, my professor is looking for the specific states (e.g. 4d->2p). I went to his office hours and talked to him, but he didn't really want to point out more than the usual Hydrogen energy level diagrams like found here (I think he was afraid of giving it away. His only hint was that there are "a few"): http://astro.unl.edu/naap/hydrogen/transitions.html
You have to consider what are called selection rules.

Likes SnoopKatt

1. What is the specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm?

The specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm is 4d-2p. This refers to the electron in the 4d orbital transitioning to the 2p orbital, resulting in the emission of light at a wavelength of 486nm.

2. How is the specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm calculated?

The specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which relates the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom to its principal quantum number and the Rydberg constant. The specific energy state is determined by the difference in energy between the 4d and 2p orbitals.

3. Why is the specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm important?

The specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm is important because it is a characteristic of the atom's energy levels and can be used to identify and study hydrogen in various environments. It is also a commonly used wavelength in spectroscopy and can be used to measure the energy of other atoms and molecules.

4. Can the specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm be changed?

Yes, the specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm can be changed through the absorption or emission of energy. For example, if a hydrogen atom absorbs additional energy, the electron may transition to a higher energy state, resulting in a different specific energy state and a different wavelength of light emitted.

5. How does the specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm relate to its atomic structure?

The specific energy state for hydrogen at 486nm is a result of the electron configuration of the hydrogen atom. The 4d-2p transition is a specific change in energy state that is determined by the number and arrangement of electrons in the atom's orbitals. Understanding the specific energy states for hydrogen can provide insight into the atom's electronic structure and behavior.