Specific heat capacity of calorimeter

In summary, the problem involves finding the heat capacity of the calorimeter and thermometer in order to calculate the amount of heat transferred in the system, according to the first law of thermodynamics. This is done by considering the heat emitted by the copper, the heat absorbed by the water, and the heat absorbed by the calorimeter and thermometer. If there is no water involved, the initial temperature of the calorimeter must be given.
Pouyan
I've got a problem:
A piece of copper with mass m1 = 800 g and temperature t1 = 80 ° C is placed in a container with good thermal insulation. The vessel initially contains water with mass m2 = 500 g temperature t2 = 20 C. What is the calorimeter (including thermo meter) heat capacity if the end temperature is tf = 26 C?!

The solution is:

the specific heat capasity for copper: 0:39 kJ / kg.C
and for water: 18.4 kJ / kg.C
dQ copper = m1 * CCU * (t1-t0) = 16.85 kJ

dQ water = m2* CH20 * (t0-t1) = 12:54 kJ

According to the first law of thermodynamics, the amount of heat transferred to the calorimeter and thermometer:

dQ = dQ copper - dQ water = 4.31 kJ

But how can I find the heat capacity of the calorimeter?
I see a solution that I should do this: 4.31 kJ / (26-20) C

but why water in this case?! should I always find the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter or the thermometer with respect to the minimum tempraturen?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat capacity(not specific heat) is nothing but mass times specific heat. If h be the heat capacity of the calorimeter including thermometer and your calculation is correct, then
##h(26-20) = 4.31##

Korak Biswas said:
Heat capacity(not specific heat) is nothing but mass times specific heat. If h be the heat capacity of the calorimeter including thermometer and your calculation is correct, then
##h(26-20) = 4.31##

Should I think:

Q los = Q gain

and Q gain = Q water + Q calorimeter ?!

Pouyan said:
Should I think:

Q los = Q gain

and Q gain = Q water + Q calorimeter ?!

Heat emitted by piece of copper = heat absorbed by water + heat absorbed by calorimeter including thermometer.
It follows from the conservation of energy.

Likes Pouyan
Korak Biswas said:
Heat emitted by piece of copper = heat absorbed by water + heat absorbed by calorimeter including thermometer.
It follows from the conservation of energy.
So we reduce 26 with the temprature of water for calorimeter ...is this always like this? If water is in the system should we find always the heat capacity of calorimeter with respect to water temprature ? What if water is not involved ?!I ask for an apology that I asked like this but I am a beginner...
thanks !

In a problem like this, it is assumed that the water and the calorimeter are initially in thermal equilibrium with each other before the copper is added. So, you can assume the calorimeter and the water have the same initial temperature (20 oC in this case.)

If there is no water so that the copper is placed in an empty calorimeter, then you would need to be given the initial temperature of the calorimeter.

Likes Korak Biswas
Pouyan said:
So we reduce 26 with the temprature of water for calorimeter ...is this always like this? If water is in the system should we find always the heat capacity of calorimeter with respect to water temprature ? What if water is not involved ?!I ask for an apology that I asked like this but I am a beginner...
thanks !
I think now you will have a clear idea after going through TSny's reply.

1. What is the specific heat capacity of a calorimeter?

The specific heat capacity of a calorimeter is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of the calorimeter by 1 degree Celsius. It is usually represented by the symbol "C" and is measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. How is the specific heat capacity of a calorimeter determined?

The specific heat capacity of a calorimeter is determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of the calorimeter when a known amount of heat energy is added to it. This is usually done by using a known mass of water and measuring the change in its temperature before and after it is added to the calorimeter.

3. Why is the specific heat capacity of a calorimeter important?

The specific heat capacity of a calorimeter is important because it allows us to accurately measure the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. This information is crucial in many scientific experiments and can help us understand the nature of the reaction and the substances involved.

4. How does the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter affect the accuracy of measurements?

The specific heat capacity of the calorimeter can affect the accuracy of measurements because it absorbs some of the heat energy released or absorbed during a reaction. This means that the measured change in temperature will be less than the actual change, leading to a lower value for the heat energy involved. Therefore, it is important to know the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter in order to make accurate calculations.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of a calorimeter change?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a calorimeter can change depending on the material it is made of and the conditions under which it is used. For example, if the calorimeter is made of a material with a lower specific heat capacity, it will absorb less heat energy and the measured change in temperature will be closer to the actual change. Additionally, the specific heat capacity can also change with temperature, so it is important to use the specific heat capacity value that corresponds to the temperature of the reaction.