Specific work done by an adiabatic & reversible compressor on air

In summary, the difference between the two formulas is that the SFEE takes into account the work that needs to be done to push fluid into the system, whereas the earlier formula only accounted for the shaft work.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Air at 290 K is compressed in a steady-flow process between absolute pressures 1 bar and 10 bar. Calculate the work done per kg by an adiabatic & reversible compressor
Relevant Equations
## w = \frac{R}{1-n} (T_2 - T_1) ##
Hi,

A quick question on a conundrum I seem to have encountered. My main question is: why is it wrong to use the formula above instead of the SFEE approach?

My approach:

Use the formula:
$$ w = \frac{R}{1-n} (T_2 - T_1) $$

From the data book, ## R = 0.287 ## kJ/kg K and ## n = \gamma = 1.4 ##
For a reversible adiabatic process, we can find ## T_2 ##:
$$ T_2 = T_1 \left( \frac{p_2}{p_1} \right) ^{\frac{\gamma - 1}{\gamma}} $$
$$ (290) \cdot (10)^{0.4/1.4} = 559.902 \text{K} $$
and thus:
$$ w = \frac{0.287}{1-1.4} (559.902 - 290) = (-) 193.65 \text{kJ/kg} $$

Answer book:
The answer book seems to use the SFEE and does: $$ w = - \Delta h = - c_p (T_2 - T_1) = (-) 270 \text{kJ/kg} $$
(The units were most likely kW/kg for the SFEE problem)

Trying to understand the differences:
- Earlier in the question, we did assume perfect gas behavior to derive a certain formula
- In a later part of this question (for an reversible isothermal compressor), we use a variant of this formula which yields the same answer as the book

The only reason I can think of that the above formula that I used is not applicable to a steady flow process. However, I don't really understand why this is the case?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the derivation of the SFEE?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with the derivation of the SFEE?
Yes

Does the formula that I used only apply to closed systems, whereas we use the SFEE for open systems?

Master1022 said:
Yes

Does the formula that I used only apply to closed systems, whereas we use the SFEE for open systems?
Yes. If you are familiar with the derivation of the SFEE (open system version of the first law of thermodynamics), please say in words how work is subdivided and accounted for in the SFEE, and describe the difference between shaft work and total work.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. If you are familiar with the derivation of the SFEE (open system version of the first law of thermodynamics), please say in words how work is subdivided and accounted for in the SFEE, and describe the difference between shaft work and total work.
IN the SFEE, ## \dot q - \dot w_s = \dot m \Delta (h + c^2 / 2 + gz) ## where ## w_s ## is the shaft work done BY the system (i.e. the work done for a moving component).

The total work done is split up into three components:
1. Shaft work
2. Work needed to push fluid into system ## - \dot m v_1 p_1 ##
3. Work is done by the system on the surroundings ## \dot m v_2 p_2 ##

Shaft work doesn't include components (2) and (3)

Master1022 said:
IN the SFEE, ## \dot q - \dot w_s = \dot m \Delta (h + c^2 / 2 + gz) ## where ## w_s ## is the shaft work done BY the system (i.e. the work done for a moving component).

The total work done is split up into three components:
1. Shaft work
2. Work needed to push fluid into system ## - \dot m v_1 p_1 ##
3. Work is done by the system on the surroundings ## \dot m v_2 p_2 ##

Shaft work doesn't include components (2) and (3)
Perfect. So in the closed system problem, you are determining the total work ##W=nC_v\Delta T##, and in the SFEE problem, you are determining the shaft work ##W_s=nC_p\Delta T## where n is the number of moles of gas in the closed system or the number of moles of gas that passes through the open system.

Likes Master1022
Chestermiller said:
Perfect. So in the closed system problem, you are determining the total work ##W=nC_v\Delta T##, and in the SFEE problem, you are determining the shaft work ##W_s=nC_p\Delta T## where n is the number of moles of gas in the closed system or the number of moles of gas that passes through the open system.

Okay thank you for the clarification!

1. How is specific work done by an adiabatic and reversible compressor calculated?

The specific work done by an adiabatic and reversible compressor on air can be calculated using the formula W = Cp(T2 - T1), where W is the specific work done, Cp is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure, and T2 and T1 are the final and initial temperatures, respectively.

2. What is the difference between adiabatic and reversible compression?

Adiabatic compression is a process in which no heat is exchanged between the system and its surroundings, while reversible compression is a process in which the system can return to its initial state without any energy losses. In other words, adiabatic compression does not allow for any heat transfer, while reversible compression is a theoretical process that allows for maximum efficiency.

3. Why is adiabatic and reversible compression important in scientific research?

Adiabatic and reversible compression processes are important in scientific research because they allow for the study of thermodynamic properties of gases, such as specific work done, without the influence of external factors like heat transfer. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the behavior of gases under different conditions.

4. What are some real-life applications of adiabatic and reversible compression?

Some real-life applications of adiabatic and reversible compression include gas turbines, refrigeration systems, and air compressors. These systems use adiabatic and reversible compression to achieve efficient energy conversion and heat transfer processes.

5. What factors can affect the specific work done by an adiabatic and reversible compressor on air?

The specific work done by an adiabatic and reversible compressor on air can be affected by several factors, such as the initial and final temperatures, the specific heat capacity of the gas, and the efficiency of the compressor. Other factors like the type of gas being compressed and the conditions of the surroundings can also have an impact on the specific work done.