Spectral Line Question: True or False?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the relationship between the wavelengths of dark and bright lines in an absorption spectrum. The speaker initially answered true, assuming that bright lines referred to an emission spectrum, but the teacher marked it wrong and explained that there are no bright lines in an absorption spectrum. The speaker then questions their understanding and asks for thoughts on the matter. The expert summarizer concludes that the original question did not specify a connection between bright lines and emission spectrum, and further context may be needed to fully understand the question and answer it accurately.
hallerman
This lady who takes our class, she set this question in one of our papers:

'The wavelengths of the dark lines are exactly the same as those of bright lines in the absorption spectrum.' - True or false?

I answered true. Have I been wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
When she asks for the wavelength for a bright fringe (line), what is she referring to?

I asked her the same question during the exam, and she replied that I have to figure that out by myself.

I answered true out of a pre-emptive notion that that bright lines implicitly refer to an emission spectrum.

The lady marked my answer wrong, and explained that the answer should be false because there are no bright lines in an absorption spectrum.

What are your thoughts?

The wavelengths of the dark lines are exactly the same as those of bright lines in the absorption spectrum.

Did you perhaps read that as meaning:
"The wavelengths of the dark lines in the absorption spectrum are exactly the same as those of bright lines in the corresponding emmission spectrum."

But it does not actually say that - the grammar of the original question related bright lines to the absorption spectrum.
If that is the only information - then your reading was in error.

You want me to say you were right and your teacher wrong? - I don't have enough information.
I think your answer is better as a long answer, because it needs the explanation, and hers best for true-false.
Exam questions at this level are best considered in the context of the course and the teacher - which is why I asked about what your teacher would normally be referring to.

1. What are spectral lines?

Spectral lines are specific wavelengths of light that are emitted or absorbed by atoms or molecules. These lines are unique to each element and can be used to identify the composition of a substance.

2. How are spectral lines created?

Spectral lines are created when electrons in an atom or molecule absorb or emit energy. This energy causes the electrons to move from one energy level to another, resulting in the emission or absorption of specific wavelengths of light.

3. What is the significance of spectral lines?

Spectral lines are significant because they can be used to identify the elements present in a substance, as each element has a unique set of spectral lines. This allows scientists to study the composition of stars, planets, and other celestial objects.

4. How are spectral lines used in scientific research?

Spectral lines are used in a variety of scientific research, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to identify elements present in a substance, determine the temperature and composition of stars, and study the structure of molecules.

5. Can spectral lines be used in everyday life?

While spectral lines may not have a direct impact on everyday life, they are used in many applications such as medical imaging, environmental monitoring, and forensic science. They also play a crucial role in the development of new technologies and materials.