Spectral Lines: Scrambling & Differentiation

In summary, when observing a light source, the spectral lines of different elements are naturally scrambled and can be differentiated by passing the light through a spectrometer. This allows us to see a distribution of smaller pixels and identify the elements emitting or absorbing light. While identifying these patterns used to be a labor-intensive task, computers can now quickly and reliably analyze the data. To get started with spectroscopy, one can search for software and resources online, but it is important to have a basic understanding of the subject first.
roineust
How are different elements spectral lines naturally 'scrambled' and then differentiated by observation, into each and every element contained in a 'single' light beam emanating from a light source? Is the term 'single' correct in this context and if not can you explain why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roineust said:
How are different elements spectral lines naturally 'scrambled' and then differentiated by observation, into each and every element contained in a 'single' light beam emanating from a light source?
There are two parts to this question. We don't see a light beam. We just see light in a cone which has an angular width which basically depends on the geometry of our telescope system. Within the resolution of a scope an angularly large object appears as a distribution of smaller pixels. Light from each part of, say, a nebula or distant galaxy will vary across the different features. (That's the image we see)

So we look at light from one direction and pass it through a spectrometer. It the star / source is not too far away then all the spectral line components we see are 'expected' because the same elements are emitting (or very often we see absorption lines because the light from a hot object with a continuous spectrum has passed through a region which is relatively cold and low density.

There may be a lot of lines at different 'amplitudes'. Not many amateurs have actually gone to the trouble, these days, to identify the various 'series' from the measurements and it used to be done by hand with a magnifying glass, looking at a photographic plate. It was very hard work, I'm sure, but very do-able for someone with loads of time. Computers can do the job very quickly and reliably.

They can also recognise Patterns, even when Red shift has moved the wavelengths away from their original values. Hubble employed hundreds (at least dozens) of young women over many years to measure the shifts of all the spectra. General principle about Astronomy is that there's a lot of sweat involved even these days, using computers. The software is readily available. Fancy a go?

Likes roineust
sophiecentaur said:
The software is readily available.
Thanks, yes, can you tell me where to download that software?

roineust said:
Thanks, yes, can you tell me where to download that software?
You need to Google with terms like Astrospectroscopy. I know the information is out there because I have a friend who got into the topic and now does it with his own equipment. But you need more than just the software, don't you? What would you do with it if you didn't know the basics. I would go more general, with terms like chemical analysis by spectroscopy.
From your post, it seems to me that you are fairly fresh at the subject so you have to start at the beginning if you really want to make progress. (Most spectrometers are used to look at terrestrially produced light.)

Likes roineust
Likes roineust

1. What are spectral lines?

Spectral lines are specific wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by atoms or molecules. They are used to identify the chemical composition and physical properties of a substance.

2. How do spectral lines get scrambled?

Spectral lines can get scrambled when the atoms or molecules are in a high energy environment, such as a hot gas or plasma. This causes the energy levels of the atoms to become mixed, resulting in a distorted or broadened spectral line.

3. What causes spectral lines to differentiate?

Spectral lines can differentiate when the atoms or molecules are in a low energy environment, such as a cold gas. This allows the energy levels of the atoms to be more defined and distinct, resulting in well-defined spectral lines.

4. How are spectral lines used in scientific research?

Spectral lines are used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to identify the chemical composition of distant objects, study the behavior of atoms and molecules, and measure the temperature and density of a substance.

5. Can spectral lines be used to determine the motion of objects?

Yes, spectral lines can be used to determine the motion of objects through the Doppler effect. When an object is moving towards or away from an observer, the spectral lines will shift to shorter or longer wavelengths, respectively. This can be used to measure the speed and direction of the object's motion.