Spectrum of laser light absorbed and re-emitted by a white object

In summary: Thanks for the clarification.Ah yes. A non-classical effect, I think? I was thinking that's outside the scope of the original question which refers to a "white object". That sort of implies a regular optics question but the situation is actually more interesting. I should have looked at the helpful A rating of the post. Thanks for the clarification.
small physicist
Hello,

If I shine a red laser onto a white surface, I assume that:
  • some of the red light will be nearly instantly reflected,
  • some will be absorbed and converted into phonons
  • and some will be absorbed and re-emitted.
Is that correct?
I know that my laser has this extremely narrow spectrum:
Helium_neon_laser_spectrum.png

but what spectrum does a white surface emit when I shine it with said laser?

Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
It's likely to differ slightly depending upon the nature of the white surface, but the vast majority of the reflected energy will normally be at ## \lambda=632.8 ## nm.:welcome:

Likes sophiecentaur, DaveE and small physicist
Hello, thanks for answer. Do you have any spectrums i can see? I couldn't find in google.

I don't have any spectrums. For a white paint, there is always the possibility that some fluorescence will occur. In addition, if there is some absorption, there will be heating of the surface for possible infrared emissions. (Just because it is high reflectivity, near zero emissivity in the visible doesn't mean the infrared emissivity will be near zero.)
In general, because of the low signal level expected at wavelengths other than ## \lambda=632.8 ## nm, it's not something that would be commonly measured. In addition, the results will differ depending on the composition of the visibly reflective material.

Likes small physicist
The line width of lasers is pretty narrow. So you really won't see any change do to "color", i.e. wavelength dependent reflection or absorption. That is why spectrometers have either a tunable source or a broadband source (i.e. white light). So, the spectrum you see reflected (or absorbed) will be the source wavelength, since that's all there is. The details of that spectrum depend on the design of the laser (primarily cavity length).

It is possible for the material to convert the 632nm to a different frequency, usually due to fluorescence. However the 632nm wavelength doesn't excite fluorescence as well as shorter wavelengths. For example, a common instrument for fluorescence analysis of materials uses x-rays. In biological assays, the most common excitation wavelength is 488nm. This is because, back in the day, this was a high power line available from Ar lasers, for which several fluorophores were developed. Then as light sources evolved newer technologies had to match that wavelength because people didn't want to change the chemicals.

Anyway, as others have said, it depends on the materials illuminated.

Likes small physicist and Charles Link
small physicist said:
Summary:: When shinning a laser on a white object what's the spectrum of the light we get back?

what spectrum does a white surface emit when I shine it with said laser
Have you any reason to suspect it wouldn't be the same? A white sheet has a 'flat' reflectance curve and it could hardly generate (?). any other frequencies because it is a linear medium.
Apart from being pretty highly monochromatic, the light from a laser is, in most respects, much the same as light from any other slightly less monochromatic source - like a gas discharge tube with filters.

Likes Charles Link
sophiecentaur said:
Have you any reason to suspect it wouldn't be the same? A white sheet has a 'flat' reflectance curve and it could hardly generate (?). any other frequencies because it is a linear medium.
Apart from being pretty highly monochromatic, the light from a laser is, in most respects, much the same as light from any other slightly less monochromatic source - like a gas discharge tube with filters.

When light is absorbed and re-emitted it can have different wavelengths (stokes shift and anti-stokes shift)
1024px-Stokes_shift-_Rh6G.png

small physicist said:
When light is absorbed and re-emitted it can have different wavelengths (stokes shift and anti-stokes shift)
Ah yes. A non-classical effect, I think? I was thinking that's outside the scope of the original question which refers to a "white object". That sort of implies a regular optics question but the situation is actually more interesting. I should have looked at the helpful A rating of the post.

Likes Charles Link

What is the spectrum of laser light?

The spectrum of laser light refers to the range of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a laser. This spectrum can vary depending on the type of laser and its intended use.

What does it mean for an object to absorb and re-emit laser light?

When an object absorbs laser light, it means that the energy from the light is transferred to the object's atoms and molecules. These atoms and molecules then re-emit the energy in the form of light, which can be seen as the object's color.

Why does a white object appear white?

A white object appears white because it reflects all wavelengths of visible light equally. This means that all colors of light are absorbed and re-emitted by the object, resulting in a white appearance to our eyes.

How does the spectrum of laser light affect the color of a white object?

The spectrum of laser light can affect the color of a white object by changing the wavelengths of light that are absorbed and re-emitted. This can result in a different color perception of the object, such as a blue laser making a white object appear bluish.

What factors can influence the spectrum of laser light absorbed and re-emitted by a white object?

The spectrum of laser light absorbed and re-emitted by a white object can be influenced by factors such as the material of the object, the type of laser used, the angle at which the light hits the object, and the environment in which the object is located.