Speculation: Highest yield nuclear weapons in existance

In summary, the technology for nuclear weapons has advanced significantly since the cold war nuclear race, but the focus has shifted to more precise and accurate warheads rather than larger ones. The largest nuclear weapon ever detonated was the Tsar Bomba in 1961, which had a yield of 50 MT, but it was designed for up to 100 MT. Currently, the largest bomb in existence belongs to China's DF-5 ICBM. However, there is speculation that the yield of the Tsar Bomba could have been much greater if it were detonated at full scale.
Krudus
Since the cold war nuclear race we haven't really heard much about nuclear weapons development, but i imagine that the technology is pretty far ahead today compared to what it was when they detonated Tsar Bomba in 1961, which was a 50 mt. hydrogen bomb with a design that allowed 100 mt.

So i know that there is really no upper limit on a hydrogen bomb, but I am curious about what developments have been made in this field, and what yield the biggest bomb existing today has?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Big bombs are just muscle-flexing and they don't really have much of a useful purpose. So I'm not sure anyone went any bigger. Most of our missiles have multiple warheads to hit multiple targets.

Yeah, the race to build bigger bombs was more of a pissing match than anything else. After the ridiculousness of Tsar Bomba, the focus was MIRVs and more accurate warheads. The various START treaties have reduced the scope of MIRVs so precision strike is the name of the game now.

most of the energy of high yield nuclear weapons goes upward and out of the atmosphere rather than in the directions you really want it to go.

Since the US B53 bomb is no longer operational, and the 25 megaton warhead for the Russian R-36 missile (SS-18) was retired, the honor goes to the People's Republic of China with their DF-5 ICBM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-5

MadMike said:
China with their DF-5 ICBM.
Dongfeng. :rofl:

Krudus said:
Since the cold war nuclear race we haven't really heard much about nuclear weapons development, but i imagine that the technology is pretty far ahead today compared to what it was when they detonated Tsar Bomba in 1961, which was a 50 mt. hydrogen bomb with a design that allowed 100 mt.

So i know that there is really no upper limit on a hydrogen bomb, but I am curious about what developments have been made in this field, and what yield the biggest bomb existing today has?

The total yield of a thermonuclear weapon isn't really dependant on the state of the technology used to create it. Consider dynamite. You can simply add more dynamite to get a larger explosion, to an extent. Improvements in technology mostly reduce the warhead in size for the same yield. The Tsar Bomba weapon was the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated and they made the decision to NOT detonate at its largest yield. It was somewhere around half of what it could have been. (Designed for up to 100 MT, actual detonation was reduced to 50 MT.)

Also, because of the immense negativity surround nuclear weapons (and the end of the Cold War) there hasn't been much advancement beyond about 80's technology. Most warheads have been around for decades.

A little mostly uninformed speculation here,

Would the full scale yield of the Tsar device be perhaps quite a bit in excess of 100MT?

My thinking is, (ignoring the fission trigger) in the device as tested, when the Pu stick reacts, it dumps an enormous flux of heat into the surrounding H, D, T, and Li which then starts fusing. The resulting blast was ~50MT.

In a full scale test, the outer casing would be DU instead of Pb. As the fusion reaction radiates neutrons, the DU will fission, and dump an enormous flux of heat back inwards into the fusion materials. There will be a significant increase in the thoroughness of that part of the burn, and a resulting and commensurate increase in the neutron flux into the DU layer. The intermediate fusion stage is significantly enhanced in the full scale device, and the tertiary fission stage will amplify the yield considerably.

I'm thinking the 100MT estimate is extremely conservative . . .

DaveC426913 said:
Dongfeng. :rofl:
Good name for an ICBM. Dong-Bang would be even better.

Drakkith said:
Consider dynamite. You can simply add more dynamite to get a larger explosion, to an extent.
The part I put in bold is rather important. As I understand it, you're already beyond that "to an extent limit" for even the very simplest atomic bomb.

MadMike said:
Since the US B53 bomb is no longer operational, and the 25 megaton warhead for the Russian R-36 missile (SS-18) was retired, the honor goes to the People's Republic of China with their DF-5 ICBM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DF-5
DF-5 (Dong Feng means Eastern Wind), is a missile, not a bomb.

tasp77 said:
A little mostly uninformed speculation here...

I doubt anyone here can do more than idly speculate, that bomb was designed 50+ years ago behind the iron curtain, and anyone with firsthand knowledge is probably long dead. But published reports I've seen state the design yield was 100 MT, and I can't see any reason to doubt that given that none of us know how the thing worked.

What is the highest yield nuclear weapon in existence?

The highest yield nuclear weapon in existence is the Russian-made Tsar Bomba, with a yield of 50 megatons of TNT. It was detonated in 1961 as part of a test by the Soviet Union.

How does the yield of a nuclear weapon impact its destructive power?

The yield of a nuclear weapon is directly related to its destructive power. The higher the yield, the more energy is released, resulting in a larger explosion and greater devastation.

Are there any potential risks associated with using high yield nuclear weapons?

Yes, there are significant risks associated with using high yield nuclear weapons, including widespread destruction, long-term environmental and health impacts, and potential retaliation from other nations.

How does the yield of a nuclear weapon compare to other weapons of mass destruction?

Nuclear weapons have the highest potential yield of any weapon of mass destruction. For comparison, the chemical weapon sarin has a yield equivalent to 0.001 kilotons of TNT, while the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima had a yield of 15 kilotons of TNT.

Is there a limit to how high the yield of a nuclear weapon can be?

Theoretically, there is no limit to how high the yield of a nuclear weapon can be. However, there are practical limitations, including the size and weight of the weapon and the amount of fissile material that can be contained within it. Additionally, the use of extremely high yield weapons would likely result in catastrophic consequences for both the target and the user.