Speed due to release of spring

In summary, the problem involves a 1 kg block on a frictionless plane inclined at 30°, with a spring of 500 N/m at the bottom. The block travels 1.5 m up the plane before losing contact with the spring. The question asks for the speed of the block at 0.9 m up the plane. The equations used were W=(1/2)kx2 and K=(1/2)mv2, but the attempt resulted in double digit numbers which are incorrect. The angle given in the problem and formatting for equations were also mentioned. More details and attempts are needed to find the correct solution.
Quantum Singularity

Homework Statement

I have run across another problem while reviewing for finals that I am not able to really understand, and this one I have no clue how to approach. I am given that a block is of mass 1 kg, it is placed on a spring of constant 500 N/m at the bottom of a frictionless plane inclined at 30°. When the spring is released the block travels 1.5 m up the plane, losing contact with the spring. What is the speed of the block when it has traveled 0.9 m up the plane?

Homework Equations

Not really sure, I tried using:
W=(1/2)kx2
and:
K=(1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I tried finding the work, and then using the work in place of K to find the velocity. This returned double digit numbers, which due to the question being multi-choiced with only single digit numbers, are obviously wrong. Also, where am I supposed to use the supplied angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
On a side note, how do you format your posts so the equations look nice as you see in a lot of other posts on these boards?

You'll have to show your attempt in detail so that we can see what you did right and where you went wrong.

As for equation formatting, you can use the icons and menus available in the edit panel header bar for things like subscripts and superscripts and special characters (such as Greek letters) if you use plain text equations, or you can use the built-in LaTeX syntax interpretation that the website implements. This requires learning some LaTeX syntax. For more information check out the LaTeX Primer.

1. What is the speed due to the release of a spring?

The speed due to the release of a spring is the velocity at which the spring's potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to move and release its stored energy.

2. How is the speed due to the release of a spring calculated?

The speed due to the release of a spring can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2k/m), where v is the speed in meters per second, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and m is the mass attached to the spring in kilograms.

3. What factors affect the speed due to the release of a spring?

The speed due to the release of a spring can be affected by the spring constant, the mass attached to the spring, and the initial compression or stretch of the spring. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have an impact.

4. Can the speed due to the release of a spring be increased?

Yes, the speed due to the release of a spring can be increased by increasing the spring constant, decreasing the mass attached to the spring, or increasing the initial compression or stretch of the spring. However, there may be limits to how much the speed can be increased due to other factors mentioned above.

5. How does the speed due to the release of a spring relate to its potential energy?

The speed due to the release of a spring is directly proportional to its potential energy. As the potential energy stored in the spring increases, so does the speed at which it is released. This relationship can be described by the equation: PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed or stretched.