"Speed limit of light" analogy

In summary: Universe's mystery.In summary, the swing merry-go-round analogy illustrates how geometry can limit movement, no matter how fast you go.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Thought of this while driving home from the lofters.

As if we need one more analogy for relativistic speed limits, but here goes...

Q: How is c a speed limit? Why can't we just go a little faster and exceed it?

A: Behold an analogy as to how geometry can limit movement, no matter how fast you go.

Think of one of those swing merry-go-rounds at the fair. Here's a small one:
Swinging-on-the-Merry-Go-Round.png

(Those are Indestructible High-G Robot Child-Androids.)

The pole is exactly 2.99792458 metres tall, a value we will call p.
The Propulsion unit of the merry-go-round has complete freedom to increase or decrease the device's revolutions, but has no ability to directly affect its altitude.
As the IHGRCAs increase their revolutions, their altitude will approach p.
At 100revs, they will reach .99p.
At 200revs, they will reach .999p.
At 300revs, they will reach .9999p.
They can continually increase their revs without bound, yet their altitude will never reach p, merely asymptotically approach p. And no amount of revs will ever allow them to exceed p; the attempt is obviously preposterous.

So the limit of their altitude is dictated, not by some retarding factor, or by some inability to put more effort into it, but by the mere geometry between revs and altitude.

Clearly, this does not explain the physics of c as a speed limit - there will be more questions - but what it does do is get relativity students to start thinking about spacetime as a geometry. A big step, IMHO.

Last edited:
Likes nitsuj, phinds, BiGyElLoWhAt and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
That is thought provoking. The harder you push the heavier it gets.

On a lighter note I was reminded of the centrifugal speed controller we used to have on our old steam cyclotron

Attachments

• regulator.png
    regulator.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 453
Beautiful analogy, I love it! Especially the relativistic mass aspect. Obviously the "mass" of a person on a swing doesn't really change.

Mentz114 said:
On a lighter note I was reminded of the centrifugal speed controller we used to have on our old steam cyclotron
Lol... it was sometimes called a "flyball" governor.

And no amount of revs will ever allow them to exceed p; the attempt is obviously preposterous.
It is a good analogy... :oldcool:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, those child andriods could simply bring a big stone and once close to the horizontal throw it in the transversal direction. This would lead to oscillations around the minimum of the effective potential.

Likes Noctisdark
Orodruin said:
Unfortunately, those child andriods could simply bring a big stone and once close to the horizontal throw it in the transversal direction. This would lead to oscillations around the minimum of the effective potential.
This shows something else about relativity - a self-propelled body is not subject to the restriction and can develop an horizon. Although there are no coordinates in which light-speed is achieved, part of the universe has gone awol behind the horizon.

I don't know, maybe this is pushing the analogy too far.

Likes nitsuj
I loved that analogy, but a better way of thinking of it (without analogy) is the all fundamental interaction happen to be mediated at the speed of light (all bosons only move at the speed of light), if you are getting to c, you are not well interacting with the outer world, so you see times dilates and length contracts, you can never get to c because at that particular speed because you'll be "out of the universe" even your atoms don't interact with the universe, the only way they feel each other is by sending photons that move very fast to be aware of each other and interact, so if you reach c we can't feel you, but we do, that mean that it's impossible to get to c .

Last edited:
I like the analogy. What is true about it is that regardless of the angular momentum there is a limit. However what is this limit? In this analogy it is due to that the direction of the force vector changes based on the height of the chairs. Where do the force vectors end up? It ends up pulling a string with infinite tolerance keeping it in place. So in terms of real space or space-time what really happens? Two infinitely large forces keeping each other in check? I could translate it into that it would be as fast as a wave can travel without breaking apart. But why do they not simply break apart then? If it cannot break apart, why is there a limit to its motion?

The analogy is interesting, in that without gravity, our child swings horizontally at exactly the height p, whereas also without Gravity, space time geometry is not curved. Gravity with a capital G...the Universe's mystery. Now if I knew what a 'lofter' was, I might head there to do some more thinking about this...

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
PhanthomJay said:
The analogy is interesting, in that without gravity, our child swings horizontally at exactly the height p, whereas also without Gravity, space time geometry is not curved. Gravity with a capital G...the Universe's mystery.
That's the caveat. It does not model the physics, all it does is demonstrate a geomretical limit.

PhanthomJay said:
Now if I knew what a 'lofter' was, I might head there to do some more thinking about this...
Sailmaking and canvas. I am adding a set of handrails to my dodger.

What is the "speed limit of light" analogy?

The "speed limit of light" analogy is a comparison often used in science and physics to describe the fastest possible speed in the universe, which is the speed of light, also known as c. This analogy suggests that just like there is a speed limit on roads, there is also a limit on how fast anything can travel in the universe.

Why is the speed of light considered a "speed limit"?

The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is considered a "speed limit" because it is the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This is according to Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is a constant and nothing can exceed or even reach this speed.

How does the "speed limit of light" analogy apply to everyday life?

The "speed limit of light" analogy can be applied to everyday life in several ways. For example, it helps us understand that no matter how fast our cars, planes, or other forms of transportation can go, they will never be able to reach the speed of light. This analogy also helps us understand the concept of time dilation, where time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds.

Is the speed of light the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the same everywhere in the universe. This means that no matter where you are in the universe, the speed of light will always be the same, and nothing can travel faster than it. This has been confirmed through various experiments and observations.

Can the speed of light be exceeded?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light cannot be exceeded. Any object that has mass would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light, which is impossible. However, some theories suggest that particles known as tachyons may be able to travel faster than the speed of light, but this has not been proven and is still a topic of debate among scientists.