Speed of a moving object, according to another moving object

In summary: I'll just have to live with it. :tongue:In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Special Relativity, specifically regarding the velocity of an object as viewed by another object in a different frame. The conversation includes equations for length contractions and Lorentz transformations, as well as a discussion of frames S and S' and the angles θ1 and θ2. The correct solution involves considering the worldline of object 1 in frame S' and identifying the corresponding velocity, or using 4-vectors. Additionally, the y-component is not the same when changing frames, which can be seen by considering events located on the moving object and their displacement in both frames.
Phantoful

Homework Statement

Special Relativity Question.

Consider objects 1 and 2 moving in the lab frame; they both start at the origin, and #1 moves with a speed u and #2 moves with a speed v. They both move in straight lines, with an angle θ between their trajectories (again in the lab frame). What is #1's speed as viewed by #2?

crFYNA6.png

Homework Equations

x' = γ(x-vt)
t' = γ(t-(vx/c2))
u' = (u±v)/(1±(uv/c2))
Length Contractions
Lorentz Transformations
[/B]
Where γ = 1/((1-(v2/c2))),
v is the velocity of the frame S' relative to S,
and u' is the velocity of some object in the new frame S'.
(These are general equations, not variables from the question).

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed the lab frame (I'll call it S) was at rest, and I had #2's (Flash) velocity along the x-axis, and #1's (Superman) velocity at some angle θ1 above that, both starting from the origin. To simplify things, I made another frame S' where the new Vframe=v, so in this new frame object 2's speed is v' = 0, and u' is what we're looking for I think.

In the j direction, nothing would change in S' for object 1, and the velocity in the i direction would be less so the angle would change, as well as the magnitude from that, so we now have θ2. However, I'm not really sure how I would use this new angle. From using the u' equation I have above, I got:

u'x = (u*cos(θ1) - v) / (1 - (u*cos(θ1)*v / (c2)))

(Would this be 1+ uc/c^2 or 1- uv/c^2 in the denominator? I'm not sure how to tell)

u'y = (u*sin(θ1) - 0) / (1 - 0)

I got 1 - 0 because the V of the frame in the j direction is 0

However none of that really took into account θ2, and I'm not sure how to get my final answer with the x and y components. With relativity can I just do the Pythagorean theorem as normal?

Attachments

• crFYNA6.png
    crFYNA6.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
Phantoful said:
In the j direction, nothing would change in S' for object 1,
This is not correct. You need to think more about this.

Phantoful said:
From using the u' equation I have above, I got:

This is not correct either. You cannot treat the components separately. You need to Lorentz transform the worldline of 1 to S’ and identify tge corresponding velocity. Alternatively you can use 4-vectors if you are familiar with them.

Likes Phantoful
Orodruin said:
Phantoful said:
This is not correct either.
I’m hesitant to go against you, but I’m pretty sure that part is correct, isn’t it?

Anyway @Phantoful the y component is definitely not the same when changing frames. (A boost along the x-direction leave y-displacements unchanged, not y-velocities.)

Try considering two events located on superman that are Δt apart in the lab frame. What is Δx and Δy in the lab frame? What is Δt’, Δx’, Δy’ between these events in Flash’s frame?

Likes Phantoful
Nathanael said:
I’m hesitant to go against you, but I’m pretty sure that part is correct, isn’t it?

Yes, you are correct. I blame lack of sleep last night. :rolleyes: Don't hesitate to point out when I screw up.

Likes Phantoful

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of motion.

2. How is the speed of a moving object measured?

The speed of a moving object can be measured using a variety of methods, such as a speedometer, radar gun, or by calculating the distance traveled over time.

3. Can the speed of an object be negative?

Yes, the speed of an object can be negative when it is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen reference point. This is known as a negative velocity.

4. How does the speed of a moving object change if it is observed from another moving object?

The speed of a moving object will appear different when observed from another moving object, as both objects are in motion and their relative speeds will affect the perceived speed of the observed object.

5. What factors can affect the speed of a moving object?

The speed of a moving object can be affected by various factors such as the surface it is traveling on, air resistance, and the force or energy applied to the object.