Speed of asteroid at impact

In summary: If the initial distance is large then the initial GPE is zero then you can calculate the GPE at the surface and get the loss of GPE hence increase in KE.Alternatively, just use a very large number for initial radius.
Tom4
Homework Statement
A small asteroid of mass m = 1.50 × 10^13 kg collides with the planet Mars. The speed of the asteroid when it was very far from the planet was 3.60 × 10^3 m/s. Given that Mars has a mass M = 6.42 × 10^23 kg and a radius R = 3.39 × 10^6 m, and that the gravitational constant G = 6.67 × 10^−11 Nm^2/kg^2 the speed at which the asteroid impacts the Martian surface is:
A) 8.63 × 103 m/s.
B) 4.29 × 103 m/s.
C) 6.18 × 103 m/s.
D) 7.15 × 103 m/s.
Relevant Equations
u=-GMm/r
k = mv^2/2
Since the radius is "very far", I cannot find the total mechanical energy by using the gravitational potential energy formula and find the kinetic energy at impact. I can't think of any other way to find final velocity without knowing the radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom4 said:
Since the radius is "very far", I cannot find the total mechanical energy by using the gravitational potential energy formula
You can. Try it.

haruspex said:
You can. Try it.
Well the potential energy would be 0 since I assume they mean the radius is infinite. But that doesn't make sense because it eventually impacts mars at a different speed. Right?

Solved:
##v^2 = v^2_i + v^2_f##
##v = \sqrt {v^2_i + v^2_f}##
Using escape velocity formula ##v = \sqrt \frac {2GM} {R}## for final velocity:
##v = \sqrt {v^2_i + \frac {2GM} {R}}##
v = 6180 meters per second

Tom4 said:
Solved:
##v^2 = v^2_i + v^2_f##
##v = \sqrt {v^2_i + v^2_f}##
Using escape velocity formula ##v = \sqrt \frac {2GM} {R}## for final velocity:
##v = \sqrt {v^2_i + \frac {2GM} {R}}##
v = 6180 meters per second
An odd way to do things but I think that gives the correct answer. If the initial distance is large then the initial GPE is zero then you can calculate the GPE at the surface and get the loss of GPE hence increase in KE.

Alternatively, just use a very large number for initial radius.

So ##\Delta U = \Delta KE##
Makes sense when you put it like that, thanks.

Likes PeroK
Tom4 said:
So ##\Delta U = \Delta KE##
Makes sense when you put it like that, thanks.
In terms of magnitudes, yes. Or ##-\Delta U = \Delta KE## to be precise.

Which means, of course ##\Delta U + \Delta KE = 0##

Tom4 said:
Well the potential energy would be 0 since I assume they mean the radius is infinite. But that doesn't make sense because it eventually impacts mars at a different speed. Right?
Why doesn’t it make sense? Remember that when it hits Mars its GPE will be negative.

1. What is the speed of an asteroid at impact?

The speed of an asteroid at impact can vary greatly depending on its size, composition, and trajectory. On average, smaller asteroids can impact Earth at speeds of around 11 kilometers per second, while larger asteroids can reach speeds of up to 20 kilometers per second.

2. How is the speed of an asteroid at impact calculated?

The speed of an asteroid at impact is calculated using the equation v = √(GM/R), where v is the impact velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the asteroid, and R is the distance between the asteroid and the impact point. This equation takes into account the gravitational pull of the Earth and the initial velocity of the asteroid.

3. Can the speed of an asteroid at impact be predicted?

Yes, scientists use various methods to predict the speed of an asteroid at impact, including observations from telescopes, computer simulations, and mathematical models. However, there is always a degree of uncertainty in these predictions due to the complex nature of asteroid trajectories.

4. How does the speed of an asteroid at impact affect its impact crater?

The speed of an asteroid at impact plays a crucial role in determining the size and shape of the impact crater. Generally, higher impact speeds result in larger and more circular craters, while lower impact speeds can create shallower and irregularly shaped craters.

5. What is the fastest speed an asteroid has ever impacted Earth?

The fastest speed an asteroid has ever impacted Earth was estimated to be around 72 kilometers per second. This occurred when the asteroid known as 2008 TC3 impacted the Nubian Desert in Sudan in 2008. This asteroid was relatively small, only about 4 meters in diameter, but its high speed resulted in a powerful explosion upon impact.