Speed of light and planck length

In summary, the motivation for the special theory of relativity is based on the observation that the Planck energy is expected to play a fundamental role in a theory of quantum gravity. However, according to special relativity, when an object is accelerated towards the speed of light and contracts in the direction of travel, it does not reach the Planck length. This is because length contraction is a coordinate effect defined by special relativity, and does not actually affect the object. The actual effects on an object when it is accelerated would depend on various factors and require extensive knowledge and specifications.
brianhurren
I was thinking about the special theory of relativity and how as one approaches the speed of light, ones length contracts. what I would like to know is: If I had an object and I accelerated it towards the speed of light and it contracts in the direction of travel, what happens when it reaches Planck length?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubly_special_relativity

The motivation to these proposals is mainly theoretical, based on the following observation: The Planck energy is expected to play a fundamental role in a theory of quantum gravity, setting the scale at which quantum gravity effects cannot be neglected and new phenomena might become important. If special relativity is to hold up exactly to this scale, different observers would observe quantum gravity effects at different scales, due to the Lorentz–FitzGerald contraction, in contradiction to the principle that all inertial observers should be able to describe phenomena by the same physical laws.

brianhurren said:
I was thinking about the special theory of relativity and how as one approaches the speed of light, ones length contracts. what I would like to know is: If I had an object and I accelerated it towards the speed of light and it contracts in the direction of travel, what happens when it reaches Planck length?
Nothing, at least not according to Special Relativity. You're confusing Length Contraction, which is a coordinate effect defined by SR, with what happens to an object when you accelerate it, for which SR has nothing to say.

You can take any object and define it as stationary according to an Inertial Reference Frame (IRF). Then you can transform the dimensions of the object according to another IRF moving at any speed such that it is now shorter than the Planck length. This is purely a mathematical exercise, does not require any acceleration, and does not affect the object at all.

If you actually took an object and accelerated it to the same speed, it would depend on how you accelerated it as to what actually happened to the object. This would require extensive knowledge and specification on your part about the nature of the material in the object, how you propose to accelerate it, how you propose to remove the acceleration, and things like that.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the symbol c. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, and is considered to be the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information in the universe can travel.

How is the speed of light related to the Planck length?

The Planck length is another fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the symbol ℓP. It is approximately 1.616 x 10-35 meters and is considered to be the smallest possible length in the universe. The speed of light and the Planck length are related through the Planck time, which is the time it takes light to travel a distance of one Planck length in a vacuum. This relationship is given by c = ℓP/tP.

What is the significance of the speed of light and the Planck length?

The speed of light and the Planck length are both fundamental constants that play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. They are important in theories such as general relativity and quantum mechanics and have helped us develop a deeper understanding of space, time, and the fundamental forces of nature.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is considered to be a fundamental law of the universe. However, there are some theories that suggest the possibility of faster-than-light travel, such as the Alcubierre drive, but these are still hypothetical and have not been proven.

How is the speed of light and the Planck length measured?

The speed of light is typically measured using a variety of methods, including using lasers, interferometers, and astronomical observations. The Planck length, on the other hand, is too small to be measured directly, so it is often derived from other fundamental constants such as the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and the reduced Planck constant.