Speed of light of different wavelengths in medium

In summary, the conversation is about how the speed of light of different wavelengths in vacuum is the same, but in medium (like glass) it is different and depends on a wavelength and a refractive index. The difference between red and blue light's exit time from glass can be found by knowing their respective velocities and their wavelengths.
LmdL
Hello,
As we all know, speed of light of different wavelengths (let's say red and blue) in vacuum is same. However, in medium (like glass) it's different and depends on a wavelength and a refractive index.
Let's say we send a short pulse of white light incident into a piece of glass (of length L). Red light will come out of it first and a blue last. But how can I calculate the time difference (or a displacement) of red and blue light at the exit from the glass?
I know the velocity in medium is v=c/n, where c is constant (speed of light in vacuum) and n is a refractive index of the medium. But how can I get a relation between v (speed of light in medium) and its wavelength? I guess I need to connect between refractive index n and a wavelength of the light first. Thought to use a Cauchy's equation (or a Sellmeier equation), but maybe there is a easier way?
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
I am afraid not. The variation of the index of refraction with wavelength is determined experimentally. Either you look at a dispersion curve, use a table or an empirical formula.

wave number k is 2pi/wavelength ...also k1/k2= lamda2/lamda1= velocity2/velocity1 ...where 1 and 2 represent medium 1 and 2. These are simply the results of applying the boundary conditions to a wave passing from one medium to another. Since red and blue light cover the same distance through slab, L ...knowing a relationship between their velocities should tell you the difference between their time of arrival just outside the slab.
the relation ship between their velocities inside glass can be found out from their respective wavelengths...since frequency stays constant when light passes through any medium, frequency of red= frequency of blue , or velocity of red/lamda of red = velocity of blue/lamda of blue.

You are right, but I still need their velocity to know the difference between exit times.
Red light velocity:
[tex]\frac{v_{R}}{\lambda_{R}}=\frac{v_{B}}{\lambda_{B}}\rightarrow v_{R}=\frac{\lambda_{R}}{\lambda_{B}}v_{B}[/tex]
Time taken to red light to pass:
[tex]t_{R}=\frac{L}{v_{R}}=\frac{\lambda_{B}}{\lambda_{R}}\frac{L}{v_{B}}[/tex]
Time taken to blut light to pass:
[tex]t_{B}=\frac{L}{v_{B}}[/tex]
Exit time difference:
[tex]\Delta t=t_{B}-t_{R}=\left (\frac{L}{v_{B}}-\frac{\lambda_{B}}{\lambda_{R}}\frac{L}{v_{B}} \right )=\left (1-\frac{\lambda_{B}}{\lambda_{R}} \right )\frac{L}{v_{B}}[/tex]

So, I still need velocity of either blue or red light.

LmdL said:
Thought to use a Cauchy's equation (or a Sellmeier equation), but maybe there is a easier way?
Well, you indeed need to know the dependency between refractive index and wavelength to get ##v(\lambda)## for different colors. However, there is no such a thing as a general equation describing refractive index as a function of wavelength. The function ##n(\lambda)## is material dependent, the most common way is to use Sellmeier equation. There is no easier than using this equation.
LmdL said:
##
\frac{v_{R}}{\lambda_{R}}=\frac{v_{B}}{\lambda_{B}}\rightarrow v_{R}=\frac{\lambda_{R}}{\lambda_{B}}v_{B}

##

Where does that equation come from? You cannot simply assume that the velocity is linear with respect to wavelength.

blue_leaf77 said:
Where does that equation come from? You cannot simply assume that the velocity is linear with respect to wavelength.
That's what akaaty suggested, and I showed that I still need a velocity of either red or blue light (from Cauchy/Sellmeyer).

In akaaty's formula ##v_1## and ##v_2## are defined to be the velocities at two different medium, they do not correspond to velocities for waves of different wavelengths. Moreover about the formula itself, I don't think that represents a correct relationship between the velocities of light in different media for this relationship is given by
$$
\frac{v_1}{v_2} = \frac{n(\lambda_2)}{n(\lambda_1)}
$$
I guess he/she was taking an analogy with a mechanical waves in a boundary between two media, and that the velocities he was using are the oscillation velocities.

akaaty said:
the relation ship between their velocities inside glass can be found out from their respective wavelengths...since frequency stays constant when light passes through any medium, frequency of red= frequency of blue , or velocity of red/lamda of red = velocity of blue/lamda of blue.
No, this is wrong. The frequencies of the red and blue light are not the same. And this is true in any medium. So the relationship between wavelengths and velocities is not valid.
It is true that the frequency does not change when light passes through a medium but this does not help you to find the speed in the medium.
The dependence of velocity on frequency is a property of the medium, you cannot find it from these manipulations.

Correct, you have to look for data related to the specific medium that you're interested in. Try Googling for phrases similar to "optical dispersion in xxx".

1. What is the speed of light in a vacuum?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is considered to be the maximum speed at which energy or information can travel in the universe.

2. How does the speed of light change in different mediums?

The speed of light changes in different mediums due to the varying densities and refractive indices of the material. For example, light travels slower in water than in air because water is more dense.

3. Why does the speed of light change in different wavelengths?

The speed of light changes in different wavelengths because of a phenomenon called dispersion. This occurs when different wavelengths of light travel at different speeds through a medium, causing them to separate and create a rainbow of colors.

4. Is the speed of light constant in all mediums?

No, the speed of light is not constant in all mediums. It is only constant in a vacuum. In other materials, such as glass or water, the speed of light can vary depending on the density and composition of the medium.

5. How does the speed of light affect our perception of time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel. This has implications for our perception of time and space, as objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light experience time dilation and space contraction.