Speed of sound in material under tension

In summary, the pitch of the sound depends upon the tension, for your fixed specimen. The speed of sound is not changing, but the wavelength (SOS) is changing.
jimmyct
I have built a loading machine for testing material properties. It applies tension at slow rates (ie 1htz) under load control until the specimen fails. One thing I noticed is that if I tap the material as it is loaded, it seems to give off a different pitch noise when it is under higher tension vs. lower tension of the sinusoidal load.

I've been trying to figure out the theory behind this today for my own curiosity. The speed of sound (C) within a material is defined as C = (B/p) we B is the bulk modulus and p is density. I don't think either of those is changing as the load is applied. Bulk modulus is more of a constant determined from the slope of a stress strain curve while the density should not change as it is a material property. Any ideas what is being observed?

Physics news on Phys.org
the pitch was my first thought
but I'm not sure its entirely right.

the wiki page that was linked in says that the pitch is related to the primary frequency at which the mechanical vibrations are passing through the specimen in which we can hear.

But I am thinking that the frequency (f) itself is also proportional to speed of sound (SOS) and wavelength(w)
f = SOS/W

So which part is really changing? The wavelength or SOS?

To add more confusion, the link to the subsection of wikipedia page on "pitch" says that as the violin string gets longer, the pitch changes and says this length and pitch are proportional. Then it provides a formula that says the density is also changing. So that leads back to the other side of initial question i asked being that density is one of the parameters for Speed of sound. I just find it hard to believe the density of the steel plates are changing though as there is little strain/displacment on them.

Likes Ting_HK

What is the speed of sound in material under tension?

The speed of sound in material under tension refers to the rate at which sound waves travel through a material that is being stretched or pulled in opposite directions. This speed is affected by various factors such as the material's density, elasticity, and tension level.

How does tension affect the speed of sound in a material?

Tension in a material affects the speed of sound by altering its density and elasticity. When a material is under tension, its molecules are pulled further apart, reducing its density and making it less resistant to vibrations. This allows sound waves to travel faster through the material.

What is the relationship between the speed of sound and tension in a material?

The relationship between the speed of sound and tension in a material is directly proportional. This means that as tension increases, the speed of sound also increases. This relationship is due to the changes in the material's density and elasticity caused by tension.

What factors can affect the speed of sound in material under tension?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of sound in material under tension, including the material's density, elasticity, and tension level. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and pressure can also have an impact on the speed of sound in a material.

Why is the study of the speed of sound in material under tension important?

The study of the speed of sound in material under tension is important for various reasons. It helps us understand how sound waves behave in different materials and how they are affected by tension. This knowledge can be applied in fields such as engineering, acoustics, and material science to develop new materials and improve existing ones.