Measuring Viscosity via the Speed of Sound

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of measuring the viscosity of viscous materials through the speed of sound. The speaker has been searching for resources on this topic but has not been able to find much. The other speaker suggests some resources, including a link to a free research paper. They also mention a documentary where scientists used sound waves to detect fungal infections in trees, which may be relevant to the topic. The conversation ends with a suggestion to look for a correlation between viscosity and attenuation of sound.
phixmin
Hello,

I am on the search for papers, books, etc. on how one can measure the viscosity of viscous materials via the speed of sound. I've searched for a while now and haven't been able to find much on this topic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, have you searched our resources?

Here are a couple of links:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-affects-the-speed-of-sound-does-viscosity.637789/

A Google search offered me some more results, but unfortunately behind paywalls.
Here's one for free:
http://www.tsijournals.com/articles...osity-and-density-of-binary-liquid-system.pdf

I watched just yesterday a documentation, where scientists used sound waves to detect fungal infections in trees, i.e. they've measured differences within the material. However, I don't know whether your question involves solid bodies.

No I wasn't aware of that post.

fresh_42 said:
Well, have you searched our resources?

I watched just yesterday a documentation, where scientists used sound waves to detect fungal infections in trees, i.e. they've measured differences within the material. However, I don't know whether your question involves solid bodies.

Very interesting. More on the lines of viscoelastic materials and liquids are of interest.

You may be more successful if you look for correlation between viscosity and attenuation of sound. The speed of sound is not directly related to viscosity.

Likes mk9898

1. What is the relationship between viscosity and the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the square root of the fluid's viscosity. This means that as the viscosity of a fluid increases, the speed of sound in that fluid decreases.

2. How is the speed of sound used to measure viscosity?

The speed of sound is measured using a device called a viscometer. This device sends an ultrasonic pulse through the fluid and measures the time it takes for the pulse to travel. The faster the pulse travels, the lower the viscosity of the fluid. This method is known as acoustic rheometry.

3. What are the advantages of using the speed of sound to measure viscosity?

Using the speed of sound to measure viscosity is a non-invasive and non-destructive method. It also allows for rapid and accurate measurements of viscosity, making it a popular choice for quality control in industries such as food and cosmetics.

4. Are there any limitations to measuring viscosity via the speed of sound?

One limitation is that the speed of sound method is not suitable for highly viscous fluids, as the pulse may not be able to travel through the fluid. It also requires specialized equipment and may not be as precise as other methods for measuring viscosity.

5. How is the data from measuring viscosity via the speed of sound used in scientific research?

The data obtained from this method can be used to study the changes in viscosity of fluids under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of fluids in various industrial and natural processes, as well as in the development of new materials and products.