Sphere rolling with slipping on a movable platform

In summary, the sphere rolls all the way from one edge of the platform to the other edge of the platform with slipping except the very end of the other edge. The time of contact is given by \triangle t = \frac{L}{\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{m}{M})\frac{2}{7}\omega_0}.
Alkaid

Homework Statement

A sphere (of radius r and mass m) rotating with angular velocity ω0 is lowered onto the edge of a floating platform of length L and mass M. The platform can move freely on water. The platform is rough and the sphere rolls all the way from one edge to the other edge of the platform with slipping except the very end of the other edge.

The question requires to find the final speed of the platform w.r.t. the water and also to show that the time of contact of the sphere and the platform is
[itex]\triangle t = \frac{L(7M+2m)}{(M+m)r\omega_0}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Basically Newton's law of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know where did i get it wrong and I've done the following to find the time [itex] \triangle t [/itex] but with the [itex] 2m [/itex] term missing:

I first find the speed [itex] v_s [/itex] of the sphere relative to the water:
Kinetic friction [itex] f_k = \mu mg = ma [/itex]
Torque [itex] -f_k r = I \alpha [/itex]
[itex] v_s = v_0 + at = at[/itex]
angular speed [itex] \omega_s = w_0 + \alpha t [/itex]
Denote the final speeds and final angular momentum of the sphere (at the other edge of the platform) as
[itex] v_f ,\omega_f[/itex] respectively
[itex]\Rightarrow \omega_f = \omega_0 - \frac{mr}{I} v_f =\frac {v_f}{r}[/itex] [itex] I [/itex] is the moment of inertia of sphere
[itex]v_f = \frac{\omega_0}{\frac{1}{r}+\frac{mr}{I}}=\frac{2}{7}\omega_0[/itex]
By Newton's third law,
[itex] mv_s = Mv_p [/itex] where [itex] v_p [/itex] is the velocity of the platform
[itex]\rightarrow v_p =\frac{m}{M} \frac{2}{7} \omega_0[/itex]
The time will then be the distance divided by the average (since acceleration is constant) relative velocity of the sphere and the platform:
[itex] \triangle t = \frac{L}{\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{m}{M})\frac{2}{7}\omega_0}=\frac{7ML}{(M+m)r\omega_0}[/itex]
But i am missing the 2m term and I cannot figure out where i was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Alkaid said:
## \omega_f = \omega_0 - \frac{mr}{I} v_f ##
Sorry, but I don't understand how you get that equation. I assume this is from conservation of angular momentum, and your reference point is the centre of the sphere (or some fixed point in its path). If so, I would expect to see an M term but not an m term.
(One should always state the reference point/axis for considerations of angular momentum etc.)

Edit:
Alkaid said:
## \omega_f = ... =\frac {v_f}{r}##
That doesn't look right either. What about the linear motion of the platform?
By the way, I get a different answer from the one given.

Last edited:

1. What is sphere rolling with slipping on a movable platform?

Sphere rolling with slipping on a movable platform is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a sphere is placed on a platform that is moving horizontally. The sphere will roll along the platform, but due to the platform's movement, there will also be some slipping between the sphere and the platform's surface.

2. What factors affect the speed of the rolling sphere?

The speed of the rolling sphere can be affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the sphere, the friction between the sphere and the platform, and the velocity of the platform itself.

3. How does the coefficient of friction impact sphere rolling with slipping?

The coefficient of friction is a crucial factor in sphere rolling with slipping. It determines the amount of friction between the sphere and the platform, which affects the sphere's speed and motion. A higher coefficient of friction will result in slower rolling, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in faster rolling.

4. Can the direction of the platform's movement affect the sphere's rolling motion?

Yes, the direction of the platform's movement can have a significant impact on the sphere's rolling motion. If the platform is moving in the same direction as the rolling sphere, the sphere's speed and motion will be affected differently than if the platform is moving in the opposite direction.

5. How is sphere rolling with slipping different from other types of motion?

Sphere rolling with slipping is different from other types of motion, such as pure rolling or sliding, because it involves a combination of both rolling and slipping. This makes the motion more complex and requires a deeper understanding of physics principles to accurately describe and analyze.