Spherical Aberration Estimation

In summary: I'll return later to see if I can provide any insight.In summary, the problem is asking for an estimate of the spherical aberration of a spherical mirror with a 1m-diameter and a focal length of 2 meters. The hint suggests using the mirror equation to calculate the image distance, which is equal to the focal length in this case. The formula for aberration also requires the aperture height and index of refraction, which are not explicitly given in the problem. The suggestion to compare the smeared image of a star to an extended object may provide more context, but it is unclear how this helps in finding the aberration.
Parmenides

Homework Statement

Estimate the size of the spherical abberation of a spherical mirror of 1m-diameter and a focal
length of 2 meter. (Hint: Calculate the size of the smeared image of a star at the focal point and compare it to the size (in arc-sec) of an extended object)

Homework Equations

The mirror equation [tex] \frac{1}{d_O} + \frac{1}{d_i} = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]
And for large object distances, [tex] a = -\frac{h^4}{8}\Big[\frac{n}{d_i}\big(\frac{1}{d_i} - \frac{1}{R}\big)^2\Big] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how I'm given all the needed information on the basis of this question. True, the hint suggests that I have an infinite object distance, from which the mirror equation tells me the image distance is merely the focal length, ##d_i = 2m##. But the ##a## for the aberration requires an aperture height ##h## and an index of refraction. Am I also to assume ##n## is 1.0 for a vacuum and then use geometry to choose some height? What does obtaining the size of an extended object have anything to do with it? Why arc seconds? I could use some additional guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is spherical aberration?

Spherical aberration is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light rays passing through a spherical lens or mirror do not converge at a single point, resulting in a blurred or distorted image.

2. How is spherical aberration estimated?

Spherical aberration can be estimated through various methods, such as using wavefront analysis, interferometry, or ray tracing. These techniques involve measuring the deviation of light rays from their ideal focal point and calculating the amount of aberration present.

3. What causes spherical aberration?

Spherical aberration is caused by the spherical shape of lenses or mirrors, which causes light rays passing through the edges to focus at a different point than those passing through the center. This results in a loss of image sharpness and contrast.

4. Can spherical aberration be corrected?

Yes, spherical aberration can be corrected through the use of specialized lens designs, such as aspherical lenses, or through the use of multiple lenses in a system. Adaptive optics can also be used to correct for spherical aberration in real time.

5. How does spherical aberration affect image quality?

Spherical aberration can significantly impact image quality, resulting in a loss of sharpness, contrast, and resolution. It is particularly noticeable in high-powered lenses and telescopes, where precise focusing is crucial for obtaining clear and accurate images.