Spherical aberration in Biconvex and Plano Convex lenses

In summary, the conversation discusses spherical aberration in biconvex and plano convex lenses and the possibility of deriving an equation for it. The participants suggest using Maxwell's equations and the Fresnel equations to understand refraction and polarization of light, while also mentioning the simpler approach of Snell's Law in ray optics. The final goal is to obtain an equation for the different lens types.
VVS2000
I wanted to know about spherical aberration in a biconvex and plano convex lens as I was planning an experiment with them.
I was reading about them and came upon the following passage.
I don't know whether the given equation is an empirical one or a derived equation.
Can anyone help me if you have any sources regarding aberration in plano convex and bi convex lenses or how to start with deriving such an equation?

Attachments

• 1639987031473540774348258502045.jpg
    1639987031473540774348258502045.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 89
Science news on Phys.org
Everything concerning refraction can be derived from Maxwell's equations applying the right boundary conditions on the surfaces of the adjecent dielectrica (for everyday applications usually some glass lens with a given index of refraction, which is dependent on the wavelength of the light, in air, which can be treated as vacuum). You end up with the Fresnel equations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

This gives you the complete information, including the polarization of the light.

For the purpose of geometrical optics it's sufficient to know Snell's Law, which also follows from the wave-optics derivation a la Fresnel. It's the relation for the wave vectors in and out of the medium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell's_law

• Informative
Likes berkeman and sophiecentaur
vanhees71 said:
For the purpose of geometrical optics it's sufficient to know Snell's Law, which also follows from the wave-optics derivation a la Fresnel. It's the relation for the wave vectors in and out of the medium.
Ray optics is probably an easier first time around approach. It would produce an equivalent to the formula in the OP's attachment for the different lens type, I think.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is spherical aberration in biconvex and plano convex lenses?

Spherical aberration is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light rays passing through a lens do not converge to a single point, resulting in a blurred or distorted image. This is caused by the spherical shape of the lens, which causes the light rays to bend differently at different points on the lens surface.

2. How does spherical aberration affect the performance of biconvex and plano convex lenses?

Spherical aberration can significantly reduce the performance of biconvex and plano convex lenses by causing a decrease in image sharpness and contrast. This can be especially problematic in high-precision applications such as microscopy or photography.

3. What are the main causes of spherical aberration in biconvex and plano convex lenses?

The main causes of spherical aberration in these types of lenses are the curvature of the lens surfaces and the index of refraction of the lens material. When the curvature is too extreme or the index of refraction is not uniform, the light rays will not converge to a single point and spherical aberration will occur.

4. How can spherical aberration be minimized in biconvex and plano convex lenses?

Spherical aberration can be minimized by using lenses with a larger diameter, as this allows for a smaller curvature and reduces the effect of the lens shape on the light rays. Additionally, using lenses made from materials with a lower index of refraction can also help to reduce spherical aberration.

5. Are there any other types of aberrations that can occur in biconvex and plano convex lenses?

Yes, there are other types of aberrations that can occur in these lenses, such as chromatic aberration, coma, and astigmatism. These aberrations can also affect the performance of the lens and should be taken into consideration when designing optical systems.