Spherical bubble rises to surface, Ideal Gas, Thermal Energy

In summary: So you can solve for Cv by using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.Sorry for the confusion. In summary, the bubble expands until it reaches the surface, where the pressure is 1 atm and the temperature is 20 degrees Celsius. The final-to-initial volume ratio is V/V1. The change in thermal energy of the bubble is -8.6 joules.
MaryCate22

Homework Statement

A spherical air bubble in a lake expands as it rises slowly to the surface. At the point it starts to rise, the pressure is 2.00 atm, the temperature of the water is 10.0 ∘C, and the radius of the bubble is 5.00 × 10^−3 m. At the surface, the pressure is 1.00 atm and the temperature of the water is 20.0 ∘C.

A) What is the final-to-initial volume ratio for the expanding bubble?

B) What is the change in thermal energy of the bubble?

Homework Equations

For part B: P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2

For part A: I honestly have no idea. I've tried messing around with change in thermal energy = N*Cv*deltaT
but I'm not getting any where.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is under the section for isobaric and isothermal ideal gas processes, but I'm not seeing how it is either.

Physics news on Phys.org
MaryCate22 said:

Homework Equations

For part A: I honestly have no idea. I've tried messing around with change in thermal energy = N*Cv*deltaT

Try swapping the hint for part B for part A.

MaryCate22 said:

Homework Statement

A spherical air bubble in a lake expands as it rises slowly to the surface. At the point it starts to rise, the pressure is 2.00 atm, the temperature of the water is 10.0 ∘C, and the radius of the bubble is 5.00 × 10^−3 m. At the surface, the pressure is 1.00 atm and the temperature of the water is 20.0 ∘C.

A) What is the final-to-initial volume ratio for the expanding bubble?

B) What is the change in thermal energy of the bubble?

Homework Equations

You can use this equation to answer question A. You know P1 and T1 deep in the water, and you know P2 and T2, at the surface. What is V2/V1?

To do part B, you are going to have to know the number of moles in the bubble. You can get this from the initial condition using the ideal gas law. What is it? After that you can get the final volume using the ideal gas law again , knowing the number of moles, the temperature and the pressure.

Sorry guys, I meant to put P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 for Part A. I have that part. Part B is what is getting me, finding the change in thermal energy.

MaryCate22 said:
For part B: I honestly have no idea. I've tried messing around with change in thermal energy = N*Cv*deltaT
Yo can find N from the ideal gas law : PV=NRT if N is the mol number. You know delta T. And air consist mostly of two-atomic molecules, with f=5 degrees of freedom.

1. How does a spherical bubble rise to the surface?

A spherical bubble rises to the surface due to the buoyant force acting on it. This force is a result of the difference in density between the bubble and the surrounding fluid. As the bubble rises, it also experiences a decrease in pressure, causing it to expand and become less dense, allowing it to rise even faster.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. In an ideal gas, the molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other, making it an idealized model for gases at low pressures and high temperatures.

3. How does thermal energy affect the behavior of an ideal gas?

Thermal energy, or heat, affects the behavior of an ideal gas by increasing the kinetic energy of its molecules, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently with each other and the walls of their container. This results in an increase in pressure and volume of the gas.

4. What is the relationship between thermal energy and temperature in an ideal gas?

In an ideal gas, the thermal energy is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the thermal energy of the gas. This relationship is described by the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the gas, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. What happens to an ideal gas when it is heated?

When an ideal gas is heated, its thermal energy and temperature increase, causing the gas molecules to move faster and collide more frequently. This results in an increase in pressure and volume of the gas. If the gas is heated in a sealed container, the pressure and volume will both increase, but the temperature will remain constant due to the gas law.