Spherical drop of oil question

In summary, the conversation discusses a spherical drop of oil falling on a water surface and spreading out to form a uniform layer of 1 molecule thickness. The question is asking for the thickness of this layer, which can be found using simple geometry.
BogMonkey

Homework Statement

A spherical drop of oil, 1 mm in diameter, falls on a water surface. The oil spreads out to cover a circular patch of diameter 60 cm. The oil spreads out until it forms a uniform layer on top of the water, only one molecule thick. What is the thickness of this layer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how they want me to answer this. It states in the question that the layer is 1 molecule thick but I have no idea what type of oil it is so I don't know what thick a molecule of this oil is.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what you are trying to find out!
it's a simple geometry question, the volume of oil doesn't change.

Additionally, the thickness of a molecule can vary depending on its temperature and pressure. Therefore, I cannot provide an accurate answer without more information.

However, I can provide some general information about the spread of the oil drop on the water surface. When the oil drop falls onto the water surface, it will initially form a spherical shape due to the surface tension of the water. As the oil spreads out, it will continue to decrease in thickness until it reaches a uniform layer on top of the water. This process is known as spreading coefficient and is influenced by various factors such as the viscosity and density of the oil, surface tension of the water, and the interactions between the molecules of the oil and water.

In order to determine the thickness of the oil layer, we would need to know the properties of the oil and the water, as well as the conditions under which the experiment is conducted. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the thickness of the oil layer. However, we can estimate the thickness by assuming that the oil molecules are arranged in a close-packed monolayer, which would result in a thickness of approximately 2-3 nanometers for most oils.

In conclusion, without more specific information, it is not possible to accurately determine the thickness of the oil layer formed on the water surface. However, we can estimate the thickness based on general assumptions and knowledge about the properties of oils and water.

1. What is a spherical drop of oil question?

A spherical drop of oil question refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the behavior of a small drop of oil on a surface, typically due to forces such as gravity or surface tension.

2. What factors affect the behavior of a spherical drop of oil?

The behavior of a spherical drop of oil is affected by a number of factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the density of the liquid, the surface it is on, and any external forces acting on the drop.

3. How is the surface tension of a spherical drop of oil calculated?

The surface tension of a spherical drop of oil can be calculated using the equation γ = F/L, where γ is the surface tension, F is the force acting on the surface of the drop, and L is the length of the surface.

4. What is the contact angle of a spherical drop of oil?

The contact angle of a spherical drop of oil is the angle between the surface of the drop and the surface it is on. It is affected by the intermolecular forces between the liquid and the surface, and can be used to determine the behavior of the drop.

5. How is the behavior of a spherical drop of oil on a surface predicted?

The behavior of a spherical drop of oil on a surface can be predicted using various mathematical models, such as Young-Laplace equation, which takes into account the surface tension, contact angle, and other factors to determine the shape and movement of the drop.