Spherical Harmonics: A Primer on Barton's Relations & Addition Theorem

In summary: This is the most general rotation invariant quantity you can build out of two vectors in 3d (up to an overall constant factor).Note that the Ylm span an irreducible and unitary representation of the rotation group, i.e. ## Y_l^m(R^{-1} r)=\sum_m U_{m m'} Y_l^m'(r)##, where R is a 3x3 rotation matrix and U a (2l+1)x(2l+1) unitary matrix. You can use this to show that ##\sum_{m=-l}^{l} Y^{m*}_l(r') Y^m_l(r)=\sum_{m=-l}^{l
amjad-sh
Hello.
I was recently reading Barton's book.
I reached the part where he proved that in spherical polar coordinates
##δ(\vec r - \vec r')=1/r^2δ(r-r')δ(cosθ-cosθ')δ(φ-φ')##
##=1/r^2δ(r-r')δ(\Omega -\Omega')##
Then he said that the most fruitful presentation of ##δ(\Omega-\Omega')## stems from the closure property of the spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}(\Omega)## which constitute a complete orthonormal set over the surface of the unit sphere.
Then he said that the spherical harmonics satisfies the remarkable addition theorem:
##\sum_{m=-l}^{m=l}Y_{lm}^*(\Omega')Y_{lm}(\Omega)=(2l+1/4π) P_l(\vec r \cdot \vec r')##

My problem is that I didn't get from where he obtained this relation.
Besides he said that the angle##\chi## between ##\vec r## and ##\vec r'## is

##cos\chi=\vec r \cdot \vec r'={cosθcosθ'+sinθsinθ'cos(Φ-Φ')}##
Where the vector where ##\vec r## and ##\vec r'## are two vectors in spherical coordinates.

If somebody can help me obtaining this relation too.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
amjad-sh said:
##cos\chi=\vec r \cdot \vec r'={cosθcosθ'+sinθsinθ'cos(Φ-Φ')}##
At least this relation is easy to derive from the representation of the unit vector r in terms of the anlges ##\theta## and ##\phi##,
##r=(\cos \phi \sin \theta, \sin \phi \sin \theta, \cos \theta)^T## and the addition theorems for the cosine and sine of ##\phi##.

amjad-sh said:
∑m=lm=−lY∗lm(Ω′)Ylm(Ω)=(2l+1/4π)Pl(⃗r⋅⃗r′)∑m=−lm=lYlm∗(Ω′)Ylm(Ω)=(2l+1/4π)Pl(r→⋅r→′)\sum_{m=-l}^{m=l}Y_{lm}^*(\Omega')Y_{lm}(\Omega)=(2l+1/4π) P_l(\vec r \cdot \vec r')
I think this is easierst to prove noting that the lhs is invariant under rotations. Hence we may rotate ## r \to (0,0,1)^T## and ##r' \to (\sin(\theta), 0, \cos(\theta))^T##, with ##r\cdot r' =\cos(\theta)##. Can you fill in the remaining steps?

DrDu said:
Can you fill in the remaining steps?
Not exactly.
I still didn't get the figure yet.
##Y_{lm}(θ,φ)=(-1)^m\sqrt{(2l+1/4π)(l-m)!/(l+m)!}P_l^m(cosθ)e^{(imφ)}## is the joint eigen function of ##\hat L^2 and \hat L_z##
should I use this to obtain it?

amjad-sh said:
Not exactly.
I still didn't get the figure yet.
##Y_{lm}(θ,φ)=(-1)^m\sqrt{(2l+1/4π)(l-m)!/(l+m)!}P_l^m(cosθ)e^{(imφ)}## is the joint eigen function of ##\hat L^2 and \hat L_z##
should I use this to obtain it?
Yes. What is the value of ##P_l^m(1)##?

Last edited:
DrDu said:
Yes. What is the value of Pml(1)Plm(1)P_l^m(1)?
its value is zero since ##P_l^m(x)=(1-x^2)^{|m|/2}\frac {d^{|m|}}{dx^{|m|}}P_l(x)##
where ##p_l(x)=1/(2^l l! )\frac {d^l}{dx^l}(x^2-1)^l##

amjad-sh said:
its value is zero since ##P_l^m(x)=(1-x^2)^{|m|/2}\frac {d^{|m|}}{dx^{|m|}}P_l(x)##
where ##p_l(x)=1/(2^l l! )\frac {d^l}{dx^l}(x^2-1)^l##
Thats not always true.

DrDu said:
Thats not always true.
when it is not?

Start to check for the lowest values of l an m.

DrDu said:
Start to check for the lowest values of l an m.
I found that they are equal to 1 only when m=0 and by this ##P_l^m(1)=1## If I substitute in ##\sum_{m=-l}^{m=l}Y_l^m(\Omega')^*Y_l^m(\Omega)## what I will get is ##(2l+1)/4π P_l^2(1)## which is equal to ##2l+1/4π##.

you said that the l's are invariant under rotation.I think because ## \hat L^2## commutes with ##\hat H##, ##[\hat H,\hat L^2]=0##
you mean choosing any ##\vec r## ,##\vec r'## suffices in proving the whole relation?
but if you chose other ##\vec r## and ##\vec r'## the relation will end up with ##P_l^2(\vec r \cdot \vec r')## and not ##P_l(\vec r \cdot \vec r')## isn't this true?
and why it is ##P_l(\vec r \cdot \vec r')## and not ##P_l(cosθ)## as the solution of the legendre differential equation is ##\Theta_{lm}(θ)=c_{lm}P_l^m(cosθ)##?

Last edited:
amjad-sh said:
I found that they are equal to 1 only when m=0 and by this ##P_l^m(1)=1##
... and 0 if m not equal 0.

If I substitute in ##\sum_{m=-l}^{m=l}Y_l^m(\Omega')^*Y_l^m(\Omega)## what I will get is ##(2l+1)/4π P_l^2(1)## which is equal to ##2l+1/4π##.
No, be carefull! If ##\cos \theta =1##, ##\cos \theta' <1## in general.

Likes amjad-sh
DrDu said:
No, be carefull! If cosθ=1cos⁡θ=1\cos \theta =1, cosθ′<1cos⁡θ′<1\cos \theta'

OK. So the relation will end up like this:##(2l+1)/4πP_l^0(cosθ')##.
How can I reach ##P_l(\vec r \cdot \vec r')## now?

Note that the Ylm span an irreducible and unitary representation of the rotation group, i.e. ## Y_l^m(R^{-1} r)=\sum_m U_{m m'} Y_l^m'(r)##, where R is a 3x3 rotation matrix and U a (2l+1)x(2l+1) unitary matrix. You can use this to show that ##\sum_{m=-l}^{l} Y^{m*}_l(r') Y^m_l(r)=\sum_{m=-l}^{l} Y^{m*}_l(e') Y^m_l(e_z)##, where ##e_z= (0,0,1)^T## and ##e'=(\sin(\arccos(r\cdot r')), 0, r\cdot r')^T##

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that describe the distribution of waves on a sphere. They are commonly used in physics and other sciences to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. Who discovered spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics were first introduced by the mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace in the late 18th century. However, they were not widely used until the 19th century when they were further developed by mathematicians such as George Green and William Thomson.

3. How are spherical harmonics used in science?

Spherical harmonics have many applications in science and engineering, particularly in fields such as electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and geophysics. They are used to represent and analyze spherical distributions of physical quantities, such as the electric field around a charged sphere or the gravitational field of a planet.

4. What are Barton's relations in relation to spherical harmonics?

Barton's relations are a set of equations that relate the spherical harmonics of different orders and degrees. They were developed by physicist Jonathan Barton in the 1970s and are an important tool in solving problems involving spherical symmetry.

5. What is the addition theorem for spherical harmonics?

The addition theorem for spherical harmonics is a formula that expresses the product of two spherical harmonics in terms of a sum of spherical harmonics. It is a fundamental result in spherical harmonic analysis and is used extensively in many fields of science.