Spherical limits of integration for a region bounded by a cone and a praboloid

In summary, the conversation involves a problem that requires setting up and evaluating iterated integrals in cylindrical and spherical coordinates to find the volume of a bounded region. The first question involves using the order of integration dz dr dΘ, and for the second question, two integrals are needed. The third question involves difficulties in finding the limits of integration for ρ. The conversation ends with a suggestion to visualize the problem by integrating in the plane and using polar coordinates.
s18
Hi everybody, I am trying to solve the following problem and I get stuck on the last question. I would appreciate a lot that someone helps me .

Here is the problem: Let D be the region bounded from below by the cone z= the root of (x^2 + z^2), and from above by the paraboloid z = 2 – x^2 – y^2
1. Set up and evaluate the iterated integral in cylindrical coordinates that gives the volume of D using the order of integration dz dr dΘ
2. Set up ( without evaluating) the iterated integral in cylindrical coordinates that gives the volume of D using the order of integration dz dr dΘ
3. Set up ( without evaluating) the iterated integral in sphericalrical coordinates that gives the volume of D using the order of integration dρdФdΘ

For the 1st question, I get : z between r and 2 - r^2
r between 0 and sqrt2
the angle between 0 and 2 pi

For the second question, I find 2 integrals : for the first one : r between 0 and sqrt(2-z), z between 1 and 3, same angle.
For the integral two : r between 0 and z, z between 1 and 0, same angle.

However, for the third question, when I rty finding the limits of integration for ρ, i get the following equation : ρcosσ + ρ^2 - (ρcosσ)^2 - 2 = 0 and I cannot solve it.

Could someone help me. THANKS A LOT.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use intersection of cone and paraboloid to find limits? The cone should be of less importance (just tells you angles from z-axis). The radial limits should be from one point on the parabola to another point on the parabola. If you're having trouble visualizing, try integrating the region in the plane between y=x^2 and y=|x|, but using polar coordinates.

Related to Spherical limits of integration for a region bounded by a cone and a praboloid

What is the region bounded by a cone and a paraboloid?

The region bounded by a cone and a paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that is created when a cone and a paraboloid intersect. This region is often referred to as a "spherical cap" or a "spherical segment."

What is a spherical limit of integration?

A spherical limit of integration is a specific type of limit used in calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape, such as the region bounded by a cone and a paraboloid. It involves integrating over a spherical surface to find the volume of the shape.

How do you find the spherical limits of integration for a region bounded by a cone and a paraboloid?

To find the spherical limits of integration for a region bounded by a cone and a paraboloid, you first need to determine the equations for the cone and the paraboloid. Then, you can use these equations to set up the limits of integration for the spherical surface, which will depend on the radius and angle of the spherical segment.

What is the purpose of using spherical limits of integration for this region?

Spherical limits of integration are used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape, such as the region bounded by a cone and a paraboloid, that cannot be easily integrated using traditional cartesian coordinates. This method allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of volume.

Are there any limitations to using spherical limits of integration for this region?

While spherical limits of integration can be useful for certain shapes, they may not be suitable for more complex or irregular regions. Additionally, the calculations involved can be more complicated and require a good understanding of calculus concepts.