Spin and parity of pion decay

In summary, Krane's textbook demonstrates a method called the "angular correlation method" for determining the spin and parity of pions. This method involves measuring the angular distribution of particles emitted in pion decays or interactions. While it can be difficult to apply to specific cases, it is a useful tool in nuclear and particle physics.
Josh1079
Hi, I'm recently reading Krane's nuclear physics textbook, and in the meson physics chapter there is a section about the spin and parity of pions. He demonstrated a way to find out the parity of the pion by investigating a pion decay(as in the attached images). I think I understand what he's doing, but I found it quite difficult to apply to other cases, such as π° → 2e+ 2e- , π- + d → 2n + π°. So can anyone demonstrate this method in these two cases?

Thanks!http://blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/aacaa402-1478-492e-8da6-59707fd3fc18

Attachments

• 20160719_014610.jpg
    20160719_014610.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 20160719_014627.jpg
    20160719_014627.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 514
  • 20160719_020537.jpg
    20160719_020537.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you are reading Krane's nuclear physics textbook and are interested in the spin and parity of pions. The method that is demonstrated in the textbook is known as the "angular correlation method" and is commonly used in nuclear and particle physics to determine the spin and parity of particles.

In the first case that you mentioned, π° → 2e+ 2e-, the pion decays into two positrons and two electrons, which are both spin-1/2 particles. Since the total spin of the system is 1, the parity of the pion must be positive. This can be determined by measuring the angular distribution of the emitted positrons and electrons, which will have a specific pattern depending on the spin and parity of the pion.

In the second case, π- + d → 2n + π°, the pion interacts with a deuteron (a spin-1 particle) and produces two neutrons and a pion. In this case, the total spin of the system is 1, but the parity is negative. This can be determined by measuring the angular distribution of the emitted neutrons and pion, which will have a different pattern compared to the first case.

Overall, the angular correlation method is a powerful tool for determining the spin and parity of particles, but it does require careful measurements and analysis. I would recommend consulting other sources or reaching out to experts in the field for further clarification and examples. I hope this helps!

1. What is spin and parity in the context of pion decay?

Spin and parity refer to the intrinsic properties of subatomic particles, specifically their spin (a measure of their angular momentum) and parity (a measure of their symmetry). In the case of pion decay, the spin and parity of the pion determine the possible outcomes of the decay process.

2. How are the spin and parity of pions determined?

The spin of a pion is determined by its composition, which consists of two quarks (one up quark and one down quark). The combination of these two quarks results in a spin of 0 or 1 for the pion. The parity of a pion is determined by its spatial wave function, which can be calculated using theoretical models or measured experimentally.

3. What is the significance of the spin and parity in pion decay?

The spin and parity of a pion determine the allowed decay modes and branching ratios. For example, a pion with spin 0 can only decay into two photons, while a pion with spin 1 can decay into a photon and a lepton-antilepton pair. Similarly, the parity of a pion can determine whether it decays into a final state with even or odd spin.

4. Can the spin and parity of pion decay be changed?

No, the spin and parity of a pion are intrinsic properties that cannot be altered. However, the spin and parity of the decay products may differ from those of the initial pion.

5. How do scientists study the spin and parity of pion decay?

Scientists study the spin and parity of pion decay through experiments, such as high-energy particle collisions, that produce pions and their decay products. By analyzing the properties of these decay products, scientists can determine the spin and parity of the initial pion and confirm theoretical predictions.