Spin-Orbit Coupling: A Bohr-Orbital Model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Bohr-orbital model in analyzing spin-orbit coupling in the hydrogen atom. While this model has been successful in predicting certain physical parameters, its validity is questionable, especially in the ground state where there should be no spin-orbit coupling. The conversation also mentions an alternative approach using the Dirac equation, which is only one page long and provides a better understanding of the different terms involved.
Fightfish
In most introductory discussions on spin-orbit coupling in the hydrogen atom that I've come across, the analysis is often performed on a Bohr-orbital model. The electron is treated as orbiting the nucleus in a circular orbit. They then transform to the frame of the electron, and then assert that the orbital motion can be analyzed as a current loop.

But I cannot help but question the validity of such a model. While admittedly the semiclassical Bohr model is able to make some rather accurate predictions of some physical parameters, this particular case feels kind of stretched to me.

Could someone perhaps assist me in clearing this doubt up? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fightfish, I agree with you - this approach to the derivation of spin-orbit coupling is highly questionable. Take a look at the quantum book by Schiff, which does it right! The derivation makes use of the Dirac equation, of course, but is only a single page long (page 482 in the edition I have).

In a hydrogen atom, at least in the ground state, L=0 so there should be no SO coupling. This is also clear classically as the Bohr Sommerfeld orbits are lines which pass through the nucleus. Circular orbits would correspond to states with very high values of L (so called Rydberg states). For these states a semiclassical analysis should be correct. Such a semi-classical analysis may help to get some intuition on how to interprete the different terms in the Dirac equation.

Related to Spin-Orbit Coupling: A Bohr-Orbital Model?

What is spin-orbit coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin of an electron affects its orbit around a nucleus. This is due to the interaction between the electron's magnetic moment and the magnetic field of the nucleus.

How does spin-orbit coupling affect atomic energy levels?

Spin-orbit coupling causes the energy levels of an atom to split into sublevels, with each sublevel having slightly different energy levels. This is known as the fine structure of an atom's energy levels.

Can spin-orbit coupling explain the anomalous Zeeman effect?

No, spin-orbit coupling cannot fully explain the anomalous Zeeman effect, which is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. However, spin-orbit coupling does contribute to the overall effect.

Is spin-orbit coupling important for understanding chemical bonding?

Yes, spin-orbit coupling plays a significant role in determining the electronic structure and chemical properties of atoms and molecules. It affects the spin states of electrons, which can influence the types of chemical bonds that can form.

How is spin-orbit coupling described in the Bohr-Orbital Model?

In the Bohr-Orbital Model, spin-orbit coupling is described as the interaction between the electron's spin and its orbital angular momentum. It is represented by the term "L·S" in the Hamiltonian equation, where L is the orbital angular momentum and S is the spin angular momentum of the electron.