Spin Quantum Number: Why is it Always + or - 1/2?

In summary, my chemistry teacher gave us a question just to make us search that why is the Spin Quantum Number always + or - 1/2. Some people say that it is because of the electron's intrinsic angular momentum, while other say that it is because of the way it is defined.
dhruvarora22
My chemistry teacher gave us a question just to make us search that why is the Spin Quantum Number always + or - 1/2. I tried searching on the net, but i got different answers on different websites. Why exactly is it, why can't it be 1,2,3 or some other number.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am afraid as of now the only answer to the question "why" is "because that's the way it is". This is intrinsic characteristic of electron - period.

Hyperphysics site discusses different aspects of the electron behavior - but these are effects of the electron having a spin of ±1/2, not the reason for the spin to be ±1/2.

--

Last edited:
A great quote I once heard went something like, "It is easy to describe what light does, but it is hard to describe what light is." I suppose that can be applied to various fundamental concepts.

When I think back to my undergraduate quantum mechanics course, my professor introduced orbital angular momentum, and described a lot of implications and observations based on its nature. Spin angular momentum was introduced since it behaved analogous to orbital angular momentum. The initial picture of an electron was a spherical object, spinning on its own axis like a top. As another picture, imagine the Earth rotating around the sun as depicting orbital angular momentum, and the Earth rotating about its own axis (night/day) as depicting spin angular momentum. Very crude, but it kinda illustrates the initial picture.

This intrinsic angular momentum associated with its spin about its own axis helped explain a lot of observations (like why electrons would deflect into two beams in a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern%E2%80%93Gerlach_experiment" ). The value of 1/2 came out from the fact that only two possible outcomes were possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a long derivation to prove this requiring a theorem which i think is not even included in M.Sc. So don't stress urself out too much.
Btw, I haven't studied much about spin q. no. till now(just one class!) but my teacher said that there is a single orbital and according and the electrons rotate opposite to each other.
So, the value is +1/2 and -1/2.
I'm not so sure abt this anyways

Related to Spin Quantum Number: Why is it Always + or - 1/2?

What is the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number is a fundamental quantum number that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol "s" and can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2.

Why is the spin quantum number always + or - 1/2?

This is because the spin of a particle can only have two possible states, known as "spin up" (+1/2) and "spin down" (-1/2). These states are a consequence of the spin angular momentum of a particle, which is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics.

How is the spin quantum number related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two particles can have the same set of quantum numbers. This includes the spin quantum number, meaning that two particles with the same spin cannot occupy the same quantum state. Therefore, the spin quantum number helps to determine the allowed states for a particle and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter.

What is the significance of the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number is significant because it has a direct impact on the properties and behavior of particles. It determines how particles interact with each other and with external fields, and it is essential for understanding phenomena such as magnetism and the structure of atoms.

How is the spin quantum number experimentally determined?

The spin quantum number is experimentally determined through various techniques, such as spectroscopy or scattering experiments. These methods involve analyzing the energy levels and behavior of particles in different states and using mathematical models to determine their spin quantum number. Additionally, the spin quantum number can also be calculated from the properties of the particles, such as their mass and charge.