Spinning block with decreasing radius

In summary, a mass ##m## is attached to a string passing through a ring and is initially at a distance ##r_0## from the center, revolving at an angular velocity ##\omega_0##. The string is then pulled with constant velocity ##V## starting at ##t=0##, causing the radial distance to decrease. The resulting equations of motion show that the angular velocity can be expressed as ##\omega = \frac{\omega_0 r_0^2}{(r_0-Vt)^2}## and the radial force on the block can be calculated as ##F_r = m(r_0-Vt)\omega^2##. These equations can be derived without solving a differential equation by utilizing
Buffu

Homework Statement

A mass ##m## whirls around on a string which passes through a ring. Given that gravity is not present and initially the mass is at a distance ##r_0## from the center and is revolving at angular velocity ##\omega_0##. The string is pulled with constant velocity ##V## starting ##t = 0## so that radial distance to the mass decreases. Find ##\omega (t)##

upload_2017-5-21_5-28-4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no tangential forces on the block and the only radial is tension which is not required.

Anyhow, ##r = Vt## since the velocity is constant, ##\dot r = V## and ##\ddot r= 0##.

Pluggin those in,

##\vec a = \hat r(\ddot r - r \dot \theta^2 ) + \hat \theta (r \ddot \theta + 2\dot r \dot \theta)##

##\vec a = -\hat r (Vt \dot\theta^2) + \hat \theta (Vt \ddot \theta + 2V\dot \theta)##

Since there are no tangential forces,

##Vt \ddot \theta + 2 V\dot \theta = 0 \iff t \ddot \theta = - 2\dot \theta##

Since ##\dot \theta = \omega##

##\displaystyle t \dot \omega = -2 \omega \iff {\dot \omega \over \omega} = {-2 \over t} \iff \int^{\omega}_{\omega_0} {d\omega \over \omega} = \int^t_0 {-2 \over t}dt##

Now the second integral has the closed form ##\ln |t|## which is not defined at ##t = 0##,

Where did I go wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
Anyhow, ##r = Vt## since the velocity is constant,
Does this give the correct value of ##r## at ##t = 0##?

TSny said:
Does this give the correct value of ##r## at ##t = 0##?
No. But why should it since after ##t = 0 ## the rope is pulled, no ?

Buffu said:

Homework Statement

A mass ##m## whirls around on a string which passes through a ring. Given that gravity is not present and initially the mass is at a distance ##r_0## from the center and is revolving at angular velocity ##\omega_0##. The string is pulled with constant velocity ##V## starting ##t = 0## so that radial distance to the mass decreases. Find ##\omega (t)##

View attachment 203875

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no tangential forces on the block and the only radial is tension which is not required.

Anyhow, ##r = Vt## since the velocity is constant, ##\dot r = V## and ##\ddot r= 0##.

Pluggin those in,

##\vec a = \hat r(\ddot r - r \dot \theta^2 ) + \hat \theta (r \ddot \theta + 2\dot r \dot \theta)##

##\vec a = -\hat r (Vt \dot\theta^2) + \hat \theta (Vt \ddot \theta + 2V\dot \theta)##

Since there are no tangential forces,

##Vt \ddot \theta + 2 V\dot \theta = 0 \iff t \ddot \theta = - 2\dot \theta##

Since ##\dot \theta = \omega##

##\displaystyle t \dot \omega = -2 \omega \iff {\dot \omega \over \omega} = {-2 \over t} \iff \int^{\omega}_{\omega_0} {d\omega \over \omega} = \int^t_0 {-2 \over t}dt##

Now the second integral has the closed form ##\ln |t|## which is not defined at ##t = 0##,

Where did I go wrong ?
The radius decreases, so it is not Vt.

Angular momentum about the hole is conserved

Last edited:
Buffu said:
No. But why should it since after ##t = 0 ## the rope is pulled, no ?
t=0 is the instant at which the pulling starts. At that time, r should be its initial value still.

Ok I did it.

At any instance ##r = r_0 - Vt##

Which gives ##\vec a = -(r_0 - Vt)\hat r + \hat \theta((r_0 - Vt ) \dot \theta + -2V\ddot\theta)##

So, we get ##(r_0 - Vt ) \dot \theta = 2V\ddot\theta##

Substituting for omega,

##\dfrac{\dot \omega}{\omega} = \dfrac{2V}{r_0 - Vt}##

Integrating from ##\omega_0 \to \omega## and LHS and from ##0 \to t## on right,

I get ##\omega = \dfrac{\omega_0 r_0^2}{(r_0 - Vt)^2}##

Is this correct ?

Second part of the question was to find the radial force on the block,

Which I think is ##F_r =m(r_0 - Vt)\omega^2## and I plug from above in this formula,right ?

Ok I did it.

Which gives ##\vec a = -(r_0 - Vt)\hat r + \hat \theta((r_0 - Vt ) \dot \theta + -2V\ddot\theta)##

Substituting for omega,

Is this correct ?

Which I think is ##F_r =m(r_0 - Vt)\omega^2## and I plug from above in this formula,right ?

Buffu said:
Ok I did it.

Substituting for omega,

Is this correct ?

Yes, that all looks right.

zwierz said:
Angular momentum about the hole is conserved

Will this solve the question without solving a DE ?

I guess so

zwierz said:
I guess so

Ok I will try.

1. What is a spinning block with decreasing radius?

A spinning block with decreasing radius is a physical system in which a block is attached to a string and rotated at a constant angular velocity, while the radius of the circular path decreases over time.

2. How does a spinning block with decreasing radius work?

The block experiences a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps it moving in a circular motion. As the radius decreases, the centripetal force also decreases, causing the block to speed up.

3. What factors affect the motion of a spinning block with decreasing radius?

The motion of a spinning block with decreasing radius is affected by the mass of the block, the angular velocity, and the rate at which the radius decreases.

4. What are the applications of a spinning block with decreasing radius?

Spinning blocks with decreasing radius are used in gyroscopes, which are used for navigation and stabilization in various mechanical and electronic devices. They are also used in amusement park rides and toys.

5. Can a spinning block with decreasing radius ever stop spinning?

No, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the angular momentum of a spinning block with decreasing radius will always remain constant, which means it will never stop spinning.