Spivak problem on limits

In summary: That makes the entire expression meaningless. I don't know what your intention was, but you can't use this expression to prove anything.
Alpharup
Consider the limit
lim f(x)g(x)
x→a
Spivak has proved that this is equal to lim f(x) multlied by
x→a
lim g(x)
x→a

And also if lim g(x) = k and k≠0,
x→a
Then. lim 1/g(x) = 1/k
x→a

Now the problem arises...
Consider the limit
lim ((x^2)-(a^2))/(x-a)
x→a
It can factorised and written as( taking x-2 from numerator)
lim (x+a)
x→a
Which is nothing but 2a.
Now we can write it the above limit also as
lim(x^2)-(a^2) multiplied by
x→a
lim 1/(x-a)
x→a.

The second limit does not exist because
lim(x-a)=0 and l=0
x→a
So, its reciprocal limit does not exist.
Then can't we say
lim ((x^2)-(a^2))/(x-a) does not exist?
x→a
Where am I wrong in my arguement?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {f(x)g(x)}=\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {f(x)}.\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {g(x)}## if the two limits in the RHS exist.

Likes Alpharup
Take ##f(x) = 1/x## and ##g(x) = 1/x^2##. By ##x\to\infty## both limits are zero. Then ##\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} =
\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{g(x)}{f(x)} ## even exist or not. Change now reference system to ##x\to{x-a}##. Now limits are ##-1/a## and ##1/a^2##. Can existence of ##\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## depends by reference system?

Likes Alpharup
But, i have not started on 'limit tends to infinity part'. I will start soon.

Alpharup said:
But, i have not started on 'limit tends to infinity part'. I will start soon.
Limit to infinity or not is irrelevant. The product rule assumes that the two limits exist.

Let's take a trivial example:
##f(x)=x-a##, ##g(x)=\frac{1}{x-a}##
Then ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {f(x)g(x)}=\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {1}=1##.
But ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)= \lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{1}{x-a}## doesn't exist, so the expression ##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x).\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)## is not defined.

Samy_A said:
##\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {f(x)g(x)}=\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {f(x)}.\lim_{x\rightarrow a} {g(x)}## if the two limits in the RHS exist.
Yes, i get it. The original condition is the limits should exist. He stated before proving it.
A function f can be written as
f=gb or cd...where g,b, c and d are different functions of x.
let the limit of b as x approaches a, not exist. but for g,c,d the limts exist as x approaces a.
How can we justify the fact that limit of f as f approaches a
is nothing but (limit of c as x approaches a)×( limit of d as x approaches a)
and not (limit of g as x approaches a)×(limit of b as x approaches a)?

Alpharup said:
Yes, i get it. The original condition is the limits should exist. He stated before proving it.
A function f can be written as
f=gb or cd...where g,b, c and d are different functions of x.
let the limit of b as x approaches a, not exist. but for g,c,d the limts exist as x approaces a.
How can we justify the fact that limit of f as f approaches a
is nothing but (limit of c as x approaches a)×( limit of d as x approaches a)
and not (limit of g as x approaches a)×(limit of b as x approaches a)?
We justify it by noting that in your last expression, you "multiply" by something that doesn't exist.

Likes Alpharup

1. What is the Spivak problem on limits?

The Spivak problem on limits is a mathematical problem that was posed by mathematician Michael Spivak in his book "Calculus". The problem asks for a rigorous proof of a limit that is intuitively clear, but difficult to prove using traditional methods of calculus.

2. What is the significance of the Spivak problem on limits?

The Spivak problem on limits serves as a challenge to students and mathematicians to think critically and creatively about limits, and to develop new methods and techniques for approaching and solving difficult problems in calculus.

3. Is the Spivak problem on limits solved?

No, the Spivak problem on limits is still an open problem in mathematics. While there have been many attempts at a solution, a rigorous proof has not yet been established.

4. Why is the Spivak problem on limits considered difficult?

The Spivak problem on limits is considered difficult because it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think critically and creatively. It also involves finding new approaches and techniques to solve the problem, as traditional methods of calculus are not sufficient.

5. What are some potential applications of solving the Spivak problem on limits?

If the Spivak problem on limits is solved, it could lead to new insights and advancements in the field of calculus. It could also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding limits is crucial for solving complex problems.