Spivak's Calc Book: Preparing for Calc 3?

• Calculus
  • Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, To strengthen their foundation in calculus, the individual has taken Calc 1 and Calc 2 at a community college. They found a free book by Spivak on Google, but it only covers single-variable calculus and not what is typically taught in a calculus 3 course. Recommendations for similar rigorous books include Apostol's volumes 1 and 2 or Courant's volumes 1 and 2. Another alternative is Analysis on Manifolds by James Munkres. It is also suggested to purchase a copy of Spivak's book, as the author primarily earns their living from its sales.
Rijad Hadzic
I've taken Calc 1 and Calc 2 at community college, but I'm looking to strengthen my foundation. I found his book free on google. Will his book also get me through Calc 3 though?

Likes The Bill
Physics news on Phys.org
No, Spivak only overs single-variable calculus. He covers it in a nicer way than the typical texts, but doesn't cover what a typical calculus 3 course does.

The Bill said:
No, Spivak only overs single-variable calculus. He covers it in a nicer way than the typical texts, but doesn't cover what a typical calculus 3 course does.
What would you recommend for calc 3 that's of similar rigor?

i recommend going through spivak before attacking a calc 3 book at the same level. Spivak is miles above whatever you have probably taken calc 1,2 from. another option is to go through Apostol volumes 1 and 2 which does cover calc of several variables. Or Courant, vols 1,2. for an older style but very strong presentation.

Rijad Hadzic said:
What would you recommend for calc 3 that's of similar rigor?
Analysis on Manifolds by James Munkres.

A good alternative to Spivak, but less rigorous, would be Moise calculus. This is recommend for the average student. You can later jump to Shilov's Analysis book.

1. What is the purpose of "Spivak's Calc Book: Preparing for Calc 3?"

The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive review of the topics covered in Calculus 1 and 2, in preparation for Calculus 3. It covers both the theoretical foundations and practical applications of calculus, making it useful for students who are planning to take higher level math courses.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, this book can be used for self-study. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with many examples and exercises to help reinforce the concepts. However, it is recommended to consult with a teacher or tutor if you need additional assistance.

3. Can this book be used as a textbook for a Calculus 1 or 2 course?

While this book can certainly be used as a supplemental resource for a Calculus 1 or 2 course, it is not intended to be a replacement for a traditional textbook. It may be more suitable for students who are looking for a deeper understanding of the subject, rather than just passing the course.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

This book assumes that the reader has a solid understanding of algebra, geometry, and basic trigonometry. It is also recommended that the reader has completed a Calculus 1 and 2 course, or has equivalent knowledge.

5. How is this book different from other calculus review books?

One major difference is that this book is written by Michael Spivak, a renowned mathematician and author of several math textbooks. It is known for its rigorous approach to calculus, which is why it is often used by students preparing for advanced math courses. Additionally, it includes a variety of challenging exercises and proofs, along with clear explanations of the concepts.